Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any moms wear contacts??? *UPDATE 9/4*

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM
  • 47 Replies

I called the eye Dr today and they said that they had the trials in. I was able to wear my contacts all day yesterday, but I went to put them in this morning, wore them about 5 minutes and the pain was just unbareable. I had to take them out. I went this evening and picked up the trial pair. Here's one for you...... They aren't the trials I ordered. They have my RX in them, but it was not the brand and style they had me try on before. They are Freshlook contacts. I went ahead and tried them on and they feel a little better, but they still hurt some. Like if I keep my eyes straight and don't move them or close my eyes for more than like 2 seconds they are awesome. If I move my eyes or close them for a few seconds they move around and feel really weird, like they almost hurt. I explained what was happening with the Air Optix and she said that they shouldn't be drying my eyes out like they were. They were kinda rude about me having issues with the Air Optix. I asked about possibly getting a trial of another kind of solution thinking that maybe there might be something in the solution that was drying my eyes out. I had to ask like 4 times, but finally got a trial of BioTrue so I am going to try that and see if that helps any. I have a bad feeling about these contacts though just because of how they feel when I move my eyes around. 

I went to the dr on Friday and got told that I now have to wear my glasses full time now. I opted to go ahead and get my glasses, but to also try contacts. That first day I wore them from about 4:30 until about 9. The second day I wore them from 10:30 until about 6 and then I took Sunday off because my eyes were so dry and they were red. I went Saturday and bought re-wetting drops and used them once on Saturday. Today I was able to wear them from 10A until 9:30P. I'm getting more used to getting them in and out. Tonight I was able to get them out in one try. My question is though is it normal when you first start wearing them for your eyes to be super dry? Today I used the rewetting drops like 5 times. When I took them out my eyes were burning. Is that normal? Also they are red again. Like I said I am new to this so I have no clue what I'm doing. They basically showed me how to put them in and take them out, checked to make sure that they fit and ordered me a trial pair of the Acuvue colours. Those felt a lot better, but she said that my RX wasn't in them so that might change the feeling some. I have Air Optics right now. 

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I did just under 4 months with my contacts and I gave up. I couldn't get use to them and they always hurt. I was told to try another bran but we couldn't afford another bran. Maybe down the road I'll try again but for now I can't do them.

Quoting rebel_mommy09:

I went to the dr on Friday and got told that I now have to wear my glasses full time now. I opted to go ahead and get my glasses, but to also try contacts. That first day I wore them from about 4:30 until about 9. The second day I wore them from 10:30 until about 6 and then I took Sunday off because my eyes were so dry and they were red. I went Saturday and bought re-wetting drops and used them once on Saturday. Today I was able to wear them from 10A until 9:30P. I'm getting more used to getting them in and out. Tonight I was able to get them out in one try. My question is though is it normal when you first start wearing them for your eyes to be super dry? Today I used the rewetting drops like 5 times. When I took them out my eyes were burning. Is that normal? Also they are red again. Like I said I am new to this so I have no clue what I'm doing. They basically showed me how to put them in and take them out, checked to make sure that they fit and ordered me a trial pair of the Acuvue colours. Those felt a lot better, but she said that my RX wasn't in them so that might change the feeling some. I have Air Optics right now. 

Sammybby09
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
its normal. i never take mine out. (okay not "never") but i hardly take them out. which i know is terrible, but whatever.

give your eyes some time to get used to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I always had a problem with air optics. There are many brands that you can try and I suggest you ask to try a different brand. The doc I use to work for (and he's my optometrist too) would be more than willing to make sure that the patient was more than pleased with everything about the contacts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sammybby09
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM
i have acuvue oasis. make sure you're putting them in the right way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Yes it is normal for your eyes to be dry. I have severe dry eye so I can only wear my contacts for about 5 or 6 ours tops. I also only wear my contacts like once or twice a week.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Yes, totally normal. It took a few weeks for my eyes to adjust when I first started wearing contacts.

ColieO
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM
It really depends on the brand. Some have better air flow than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Princess_s21
by Sarah on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

yeah I wear them part time, I wear my glasses more though. Often its trial and error with different brands what fits your eye better etc, it is normal to have an adjustment period though, but if they continue to annoy you I would trial another brand.

karmakarma
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I wore contacts for quite a while. I do remember it being harsh at first, even more harsh when I would accidentally put them in backwards, which happened ALOT! So make sure you're not doing that =P

Give them some more time before you ditch them though, I wish I still wore some. NEED to get on that sometime soon!!

jojo_382
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I never have that problem besides one time I had an infection cause my Eye got lots of dirty in it (but this was years ago when I first got contacts) but it cleared up I would try a different brand maybe they'll give you like sample of a different kind Of brand because with my eye doctor that's what they did and it worked
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)