Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Because I don't get Section 8!!!

Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

My SIL and I just had it OUT! She is getting my girls on the bus tomorrow because I have an early meeting. The girls excitedly showed her their first day of school outfits and shoes, which are NICE, new and cute but are not name brand. Thankfully, SIL was tactful enough to keep her opinions to herself until after the girls went to bed, but as soon as they did she started up:

"I could never send my kids to school with Walmart clothes on the first day. Who does that? You can afford better than that. What kind of mother are you? I know your mom didn't make you wear Wally Exclusives on the first day, did she?"

And so on, and so forth. Now, my girls have clothes from Walmart, yes, but also from Old Navy, Aero, JCP, Sears, Justice for Girls, and some boutique stuff I got on sale through Zullily. They CHOSE to wear an outfit they got from Walmart and I don't think anyone would know it was exactly a Walmart outfit if it weren't for the tags that we haven't removed yet. OK, so, I tell SIL that we started school shopping late and my budget could only be stretched so far, so when the girls expressed they wanted certain other "staples" that were more costly at the big box stores, we went to Walmart to get them. She then tells me how ALL of her kids' clothes are name brand; they have 2-3 pairs of expensive sneakers each, and a couple pairs of boots/shoes to match each outfit. She wants to know how it's possible that I make as much as I do (about 2.5 times what she makes) and I can't do the same.  Well, wanna know why?

Because I don't get section 8. My $975 rent is all mine. Because I don't get food stamps. My $500 grocery bill is all mine. Because I don't get LIHEAP. My $175 heating/cooling budget is all mine. Because I don't get daycare assistance. My $75 a week after school care bill is all mine!!!!

Yes. That's what I told her. She is not pleased with me and stomped off to go home. DH had to call her to make sure she'd be back in the morning to get my kids off. She will be,  she says, but DH is going to leave work early just in case (does C shift this week) because she gets really nasty when people throw her PA back in her face. I don't judge her for logistically       getting help (which she only works a certain amount of hours so she continues to qualify) so don't judge me for NOT getting help. Geesh. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I bought my kids new clothes for school. They chose to wear their favorite threads from last year.. Kids like what they like. Tell her to suck it.

by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I'm sure she will get over it and you both will be friendly again.
by Lauren on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You do know that the clearance rack at the mall stores is generally cheaper than in-season Walmart, right?

All of DD's jeans were clearance rack finds from the mall ranging in price from $4-5 each in April. Her shirts are all hot brands from the outlet mall. We grab last season's quality shoes on clearance, etc. I couldn't imagine paying Walmart prices for Walmart quality :/

But no, the kids will not know who is wearing what brand when they are young.

by Keyser Söze on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Omg, who the fuck cares? There is much more to life than competing over money and what brands of clothes your kids wear.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM
My kid didn't even get new clothes. Well, I did pick him up 2 pairs of slacks and a pink polo shirt because he outgrew his, but his clothes from last year fit, so that's what he gets. Your SIL is nuts.
by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM

A month before our daughter was born, my husband was talking to our former neighbor, whose wife was due three days after me.  My husband made a comment about how we were super annoyed, because we were told our insurance had great pregnancy coverage, but we had ended up paying only about $1500 less than we did with our son, whom we had paid cash in full for his delivery.

This neighbor, who had two cars with notes larger than half the rent (we knew because he talked about it all the time), and every stick of furniture in his house was that rent to own crap, laughed at my husband and said, "You guys actually pay for this? That is stupid as hell. You get one medicaid and they cover everything. You can even get WIC. Why waste the money if you can get it for free. Spend that money on something important!"

That was the final straw for my husband, who is extremely fiscally conservative. He could not even look at the guy anymore. 

by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Fuck her.
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM

As far as I'm aware, as I've received LIHEAP before, they pay some, not all, and not monthly.

I'm also on S8 and pay half of my rent which is half of my net income and leaves me struggling. 

Me-thinks this is a reason to bash post and not something that really happened. Yay for trolls and drama.

by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Your SIL needs a hobby.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Good job! If its helping her fine, but instead of spending extra on name brands, save it to move off govt assistances is all I would add.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)