Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New reward/discipline system set in place...

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

And I'm kinda excited about it!!
I've got 3 kids, ages 4, 3, and 1.. To say my house can get kinda hectic is an understatement! Lately the normal, time outs, talks, toy loss, and yes even spankings haven't been effective at all. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a good reward system that would be more fun and noticeable than the marbles in a bowl thing. I saw where a lady used the b toys pop arty things and decided that's the way to go. I bought the stuff and we started using them the other day.. It's been AAAAAAMAZING! Far better than I even expected so far.
Basically, when they listen (eat food, clean room and such without being told a million times) or do something good (basically anything nice or good they do on their own) they get a "sparkle" to hang on their starter. If they are bad or mean then they lose a sparkle. For every 5 sparkles they get a "glitter" (glittered Popsicle stick). The glitters can be exchanged immediately for a prize out if the treasure box, or they can be saved for something better (like a date with me or my husband, day at the zoo in town, or for 5 glitters we will go to the Nola zoo and aquarium).
The girls have done amazingly with the system and I've already noticed a change in how they interact with each other. They have always been really great kids but lately they just seem to be annoyed with each other. They are in that "she's looking at me!" "She's copying me" "she won't let me play with her" stage and its been such a trial trying to find a way to get through this stage without being bald! I'm hoping this continues to work since my time out chair and get along shirt are being worn out! Lol

Feel free to share any nuggets of wisdom you've found to work with siblings, or just kids in general ;)
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cbreland07
by CranioMama on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Mobile Photo

I'm still working on the cork board for them so its just on the wall for now.
These are the sparkles.
TheDoctorsWife
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
The only thing I would disagree with would be using time with mommy and daddy as a reward. But glad it's working so far
Cbreland07
by CranioMama on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
We have had 3 peaceful nights of sleeping since starting, instead of having to separate them like we were doing.
Cbreland07
by CranioMama on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Haha they do get that anyway. This will be just on top of the normal time they get. But thats an understandable point

Quoting TheDoctorsWife:

The only thing I would disagree with would be using time with mommy and daddy as a reward. But glad it's working so far

tnt-manda
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM
That's cool. Ours are a little older so they each have money jugs. They earn change randomly through out the day for "caught being good behavior" at the end of the month we cash it in, then they can save or spend. My oldest saves the other two spend. It has helped me remember to encourage and be positive with them.
raczac
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Mine are older 6 and 8 were using the marbles for not arguing about doing homework. We start tomorrow hope it goes well for us.
Cbreland07
by CranioMama on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I think once they are older we will switch to money, but they just don't care about that now lol.

Quoting tnt-manda:

That's cool. Ours are a little older so they each have money jugs. They earn change randomly through out the day for "caught being good behavior" at the end of the month we cash it in, then they can save or spend. My oldest saves the other two spend. It has helped me remember to encourage and be positive with them.

Cbreland07
by CranioMama on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM
It's been great for us so far (even though ours aren't marbles), and I noticed a difference almost immediately. I'm hoping it holds and its not just a "new/fascinating" thing now that they get tired of quickly.

Quoting raczac:

Mine are older 6 and 8 were using the marbles for not arguing about doing homework. We start tomorrow hope it goes well for us.

Cbreland07
by CranioMama on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)