Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this sexist?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: It is sexist that society is ok with men showing their nipples/breasts, but doesn't approve women for showing doing the same

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

Yes, I realize there are only 2 options - I meant it that way.

I was having this discussion with someone else and we have a difference of opinion.  This person says I am in the minority, so I need you ladies to settle this for us.

This is NOT to say that you agree or disagree with societal norms, it just merely asking if you find them partial based on a person's sex.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Yes. I don't think men should be allowed to be shirtless in public if women aren't.

bellawomen
by Summer on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Bumping!   Hoping to get a few more votes  lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM
If a woman is Breastfeeding, by all means let her and I don't care.

If its not a nude Beach or area no.

Not being rude but some people aren't in great shape and I don't want to see your saggy Boobies.
FoxFire363
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM
The question wasn't just about women though. I've seen plenty of shirtless put of shape men with beer guts and man boobs in public, at the pool, and mowing their lawns. Should they also have to cover up, even at the pool? To answer the OP, yes I think it's sexist. It should be ok for both or on for neither.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not being rude but some people aren't in great shape and I don't want to see your saggy Boobies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:51 AM
That's What in talking about. Men have nasty saggy boobs too. I don't want to see that.

I agree that it is sexist. Then again in America breasts are viewed as toys for men and overly sexualized.

Quoting FoxFire363:

The question wasn't just about women though. I've seen plenty of shirtless put of shape men with beer guts and man boobs in public, at the pool, and mowing their lawns. Should they also have to cover up, even at the pool? To answer the OP, yes I think it's sexist. It should be ok for both or on for neither.

Quoting Anonymous:

3MusketeerMama
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Shirtless men in public gross me out. I don't want to see any dude's nips unless I am at the beach. I think it is really weird for guys to walk around shirtless. I see guys driving with no shirts on and it creeps me out. I was just telling my husband this yesterday! I don't know why it bugs me, but it does.

Arwynn
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Quite frankly there are many places where nude or partially nude women can be seen. I dont think it is meant sexist but no one wants to think of their wife or daughter or mom in the same way they might think of a playboy bunny. Its taboo for women because men say reality and fantasy are two different things. They dont get that its that way for women too.
3MusketeerMama
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

And seriously, I wouldn't at all be bothered by seeing a mom breastfeeding her baby in public but guys who walk around shirtless in the grocery store or walking down the street is tacky. So I guess that makes me sexist, in the opposite way.

bellawomen
by Summer on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

This wasn't in reference to breastfeeding.  Just in general  :)

Quoting Anonymous:

CocoBeen
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM
http://www.policymic.com/mobile/articles/42359/topless-women-in-public-not-breaking-the-law-says-nypd

Sorry I cant make it clicky on mobile.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)