Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Legal way to get out of cell phone contract WITHOUT paying an earliy termination fee

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 55 Replies
5 moms liked this
This is my PSA for the day, I have done this with Sprint and it worked like a charm. Be warned though, they will immediately turn off service and you will not be able to use the carrier again for about a year, maybe not ever, I'm not sure.

http://www.cellphones.ca/features/get-out-cell-phone-contract/

Are you stuck in a cell phone contract? Have you been told that it will cost you $175.00 per line to terminate your agreement?

Good news. You CAN get out of your cell phone agreement, legally and easily.

I’ll explain two ways:

First, the Material Adverse Clause is a little known part of your cell phone agreement that essentially states that should any terms or conditions change following your signing of the contract, you have a right to terminate without having to pay any Early Termination Fee (ETF).

When you receive your bill each month it includes information regarding any changes, including rate changes, tax changes, etc. None of these changes were present at the time you signed your agreement.

Here’s what to do:

Call your provider and politely but immediately ask to speak to a supervisor (this is a good practise whenever you have a concern and need to contact a company). Refer to your saved bills when speaking with the supervisor and use the term Material Adverse Clause specifically, and refer to the the changes that have occurred in your contract. Tell him/her that you want to cancel your agreement.

That should be the end of it right there, but should you receive any pushback, remind the supervisor of the Material Adverse Clause and the specific changes in your contract and that should put a quick end to any challenge.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
b
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
u
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
m
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
p
Toxic.Stardust
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Ooh, thanks. We've been waiting for DH's contract to be up so he can switch to straight talk.

Also, y u no text me anymore? :(
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Excuse me? (That was so in a Ricky Ricardo voice) y u no text me no more?

Probably cuz I'm lame and boring.

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

Ooh, thanks. We've been waiting for DH's contract to be up so he can switch to straight talk.

Also, y u no text me anymore? :(
snowflower902
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Hmmmm thanks!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
That does work! I have done that before. They offered to lower my bill 3 times as well. I still cancelled as the service sucked.

The change to my bill was a 20¢ fee. You DO have to catch it with a certain time frame though. It's either 30 or 60 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TakeTwo
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm in Canada, and there is recent legislation regarding wireless contracts (cable included) and cancellation fees. Any contract entered into after September of 2012 could be cancelled any time with no cancellation fees. I had entered the contract with Rogers in August of 2012, so I thought I was out of luck. Reading the fine print, however, any changes to the existing contract would create a new contract effective that date. I cancelled the Entertainment magazine subscription that came monthly ($1) and began a new contract. I dropped Rogers the next day, no cancellation fees :) 

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Bump to read later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)