Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 4 year old ISN'T in preschool. Is that weird?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 337 Replies
2 moms liked this
ODD 4 is very precocious and verbal. I am a SAHM and. We practice school skills for a few hours every morning. She knows all her letters and is starting to write short stories (just a few sounded-out words with a picture). She knows and can write her numbers and we are doing rudimentary math. She knows she has to sit and finish her tasks before we move in to something else.

Preschool doesn't fit our budget and we make too much to enroll her in head start. It seems like every other 4 year old on Earth this year is going to preschool. Am I destroying my child by not sending her? Are the any other skills we should be working on?

ETA Featured post, woo! For everyone asking, her social interaction is pretty limited but she attends children's church on Sundays and 30-minute library story/art time on most Wednesdays.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
3 moms liked this

My kids didn't go to preschool or Kindergarten. LOL. 

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM
9 moms liked this

I never went to preschool, back in my day most of us didn't.

Clubpenguin
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this
Just social skills. Is she around other kids her age?
PeacefulLotus
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
4 moms liked this

Nope... preschool is completely unnecessary. You can look up a list of "things my child needs to know before kindergarten" and hit those. Also preschool workbooks are great. My 3.5 year old is doing that... her math is good but she only recognizes a few letters and can't write yet. Oh well! Theyll be fine :) 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I sent my kid but because the curriculum at his school started at that level. I personally think keeping them home that extra year can be beneficial. just make sure to check and see whats expected to K5 and get her up to point. :) 

Photo: -Randi.

Nee86
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Mine wouldn't be either. The nearest preschool is an hour drive from home. We are putting her in some other activities for social interaction but other then that, we will work with her.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither of my kids went to preschool and they have both done great in school to this point. They will start 1st and 3rd grades tomorrow.

VannaMae307
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
My 4 year old goes to the public elementary school for pre-k. We didnt know he could start this early though, we just planned on kindergarten being the first year. My son knows all of what you mentioned and pre-k is rounding him out by adding in social skills, which he wouldn't get otherwise. Not everyone does pre-k so no, it is really not that weird.
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM
3 moms liked this
Pre school was made up to make working parents feel better. None of my college educated children went and either has.tt four old.
Karopie_99
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

None of my kids have gone to head start/ prek. And my son is 12 and an honor student! And my 5 yr old just started Kindergarten last week, the teacher had asked me when I started my dd in school. And I told her August 28th! She said no for like head start or preK. I said her first day of school ever was starting Kindergarten. The teacher I swear thinks I am lying. IDK why! My dd is very smart. She knows her alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes and how to write her name. She knows some sight words, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep teaching the basics

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)