Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OPPS I outed my SIL

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 140 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think that I am at fault?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 245

View Results

DH's parents had a cookout on Labor Day so we went over with the kids. SIL was there, she is 20 years old and just found out she is pregnant, her fiance' was there too. They got engaged right after she told him she was pregnant.

Well, she was showing her ultrasound picture around and I am an ultrasound tech and I work in an OBGYN's office. I thought the picture was strange because she said she was 7 weeks but this baby was about 10-12 weeks. I asked her if anyone had mentioned that maybe she could be further because this baby looks much more developed then 7 weeks. I was not suspicious that she was doing anything wrong, it was just out of concern because sometimes if you get a newer tech or one who doesn't know what she is doing and your dates are off this can go unrealized. I know that her OBGYN's office has a bad reputation of making mistakes like this but they are one of the few that accept pregnancy medicaid, which is what she is on.

Her fiance' looked worried, I thought he was worried something was wrong and kind of regretted saying anything so I said "it's not a problem, it's just this baby looks more developed and it's just something maybe she should ask about at the next visit".

As it turns out, they had broken up a couple of months ago for  almost a month but got back together, I didn't know about this. Her being 7 weeks pregnant (of course that means the baby was conceived 5 weeks ago) would put the conception shortly after they got back together but of course her being anywhere from 10-12 weeks puts the conception during the time they were broken up, over a week after they broke up so there is no way she got pregnant before they broke up.  Anyway, he got suspicious and apparently when they got home looked up images for ultrasounds and saw for himself the difference between 7 weeks and her ultrasound. Once pretty much caught, she admitted that she had gotten pregnant while broken up and he broke off the engagement, now she is alone.

The kicker, she is blaming me! I mean I feel bad she is alone but she was trying to do something wrong and she got caught. I mean didn't she think he would figure it out when the baby was born at 34 weeks or so seemly like a full term baby?  My MIL told me that she hopes I am proud of herself that SIL will be an "unwed mother" and that I better be prepared to help with the baby. Also, turns out her doctor knew as well but naturally, patient confidentiality forbid him from saying anything.

Now, I am sure some will just say that I was trying to cause trouble by saying anything so I am going to post 2 random pictures form online (these are not patients from my work or SIL's, these are pictures that have been posted online) at 7 and 11 weeks (she is 11 weeks) so that you how big the difference is and how natural it was for me to notice.

This first one is 11 weeks (the kid doesn't have a big nose, it's hand it by it's face)

This one is 7 weeks and it's a 3D

7 weeks 5 days

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

BUMP!

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
no it's not your fault...it's not like you knew, you were just trying to help.
jella31
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't see the second pic but not your fault!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM
19 moms liked this

Blessing in disguise that you said something. She fully intended to trick this guy into believing it was his, that is disgusting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Sort of. Since it was a medical thing, you could have been more tasteful and talked about it in private, but whatever...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
She's obviously immature, and can't take responsibility for her own actions. It doesn't sound like they should be getting married anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM

That's what I think. I mean for her it sucks but for this guy, he can finish college and start a career without worrying about taking care of a family that he shouldn't have to worry about.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Blessing in disguise that you said something. She fully intended to trick this guy into believing it was his, that is disgusting.

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Not your fault at all.  Shame on your SIL for planning on tricking the guy into believing the baby was his.  What a disgusting thing to do :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I would see your point but she was passing it around, it's not like she wanted it private.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sort of. Since it was a medical thing, you could have been more tasteful and talked about it in private, but whatever...

diana1481
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I don't see how it's your fault.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)