Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Final update!: A kid cut my dds hair at school today UPDATE with pic pg 6.

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 324 Replies
My dd just started kindergarten last week, she turns six at the end of this month. She has never had a real official haircut. We've kept it neatly trimmed and allowed it to grow very long as per her request. She had long beautiful hair with little ringlets on the end that came just to the top of her butt. I make sure her hair is put up and out of the way for school every day. It was in a pony tail today, and this little girl snuck away from the group to go back to her table and get the scissors out of her pencil box and cut my dds hair in several places before the teacher realized what happened. Dds hair is butchered now and will need to be cut at least to her shoulders if not shorter. She also has a chunk about an inch long sticking straight up in the middle of the back of her head. I am sick to my stomach over this. My dd is flipping out because we have to go have the rest of her hair cut off. What exactly do I do now? I need to have a meeting with the school tomorrow, but I have no idea how to handle this or what to say. What now?!? Anybody know how to handle this?

Update:
After school yesterday I took my dd to a salon and had her hair cut. The stylist had to cut 10 inches off of her hair to even it out with what the girl cut. With the curly, wavy texture of her hair, the shorter cut just doesn't look very good. It springs up now that the weight is gone and looks much shorter than it is, and just generally doesn't suit her like the long hair did. But my dd seems ok with it and that's what matters. Her hair hasn't been this short since she was two, so that was about 4 years worth of hair growth :(

I also had my conference with the teacher this afternoon. Apparently she was just as upset as I was. She was very apologetic, and even cried about it. She said she hasn't been able to sleep since it happened because she felt so bad about it. She took all the scissors away and put them up. The girl who cut my dds hair has been in trouble again since this happened and might be facing expulsion. She has had recess taken away for two weeks and is required to stay by the teachers side the entire day. I have no idea what her second offense was (not really my business) but it must have been really bad? I feel a lot better knowing that something has been done to punish the girl and the scissors have been removed. It also helped to know that her teacher actually cared that this happened. I was afraid I would get the "it's only hair" speech, so knowing that her teacher was almost as upset as I was took some of the sting out. My pain was validated.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyfesha
by monster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Hugs! I would be so mad, I have no idea what I would say!
rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM
5 moms liked this

Oh my, I don't even know what to say, I feel so sorry for your daughter!  I don't even know how I would handle this.  Good luck, maybe you can buy some of those magazines showing haircuts and give it to your daughter and try to turn the haircut experience into something not traumatic?  My daughter has long red hair, I can't even imagine what she would do if someone did this to her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this
What the hell is wrong with young kids these days, glad my girls never had little shits like the ones described on here.
babycakesaz
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM
3 moms liked this

I would be super pissed off. Omgosh idk what I would do but you bet your ass I would be raising hell. I know kids will be kids, but I love my dds hair! She has perfect blonde ringlets also. Ugh I'm upset for you. 

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

:( She must be sooo upset.

I bet she'll look adorable with a little bob. I know she is upset, especailly since she wanted it long. Just let her know it will grow back! That is the greatest thing about hair. I woula also let her know that even if she wants to grow it long, it is better for hair to get trims to get rid of split ends to keep her hair healthy.

cindymadcam
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM
5 moms liked this

Awe - take her to a professional hair dresser - there may be things they can do to limit having to cut her hair - like some layers or something.  One of my FD's once fried a piece of hair off with her straightener and by the time we got to the hair salon a few days later it had blended in and we did not have to do anything!  Perhaps they need to have all the scissors in a container with the teacher and only give them out when needed?  Perhaps the parents of the other child need to know about this and can pay for your DD's appointment at the hair salon (if that was my child she would be paying for it with her allowance or chores). 

WinterIsComing
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM
5 moms liked this

My DDs would be in tears and very hard to console, they love their long hair.

Something needs to be done, I realize that it was "just hair" but the little girl took a pair of scissors to another child. Not okay. Ever.

I have no real advice for you. Find out what the school's policies about vandalism, violence and treatment of other people's property are. Figure out which one best fits what happened and ask the school to adhere to their policy in regards to this little girl.  I know she's only 5-6, but obviously she either thinks she can get away with it or has never been taught better. Either way, she needs the learning experience.

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Oh man! My dd has very long hair to. I am so scared of this happening!!!! I would be pissed off to hell!
momto3nuts
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM
4 moms liked this

I am so sad for you. I have been the other childs parent. My son cut another little girls hair a few years ago. I was mortified. We offered to pay for a cut, pedicure, lunch and a movie, so the little girl could have the best experience possible. The little girls parents weren't very bothered because the little girl wasnt very bothered by it. Everyone in our experience was very fortunate that the little girl was excited to get a professional haircut. I hope your dd isn't completely traumatized by this and I hope the other child is punished accordingly. :(

NotTheirMom99
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I would be sooooo sad, but what can you do?  How do you punish another little girl when she's not yours to punish?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)