Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can i still volunteer at the elementary school my child is in if i have a record?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I have four previous misdemeanor drug possession charges. I've already paid my fines and did the programs through the court. Would that keep me from being a room mother or volunteering at all?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOfAdriana
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I'm not sure. The public schools in my county do background checks but I don't know what they deem to be ineligible. Maybe if it's been a significant amount of time that has passed since the charges you could volunteer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Probably not. We're mostly looking to keep out sex offenders.The worst they could tell you is no, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Yeah but that no would still be awful. It's not been long enough in my book, about a year and a half. All it was was less than a gram of marijuana and something to smoke it with twice. It wasn't mine but I smoke and I put myself in the situation so I took the consequences because bottom line I was in the wrong even if it wasn't the particular instant.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Idk what would be flagged when they do the background check. You could call the schools volunteer liason and ask. ..... or just do the background check and get your answer. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I think it could.  I doubt a lot of people are going to want to have their children around someone who has beenc aught multiple times with illegal substances.  Yes plenty of people do it and haven't been caught but its different when the person has been caught that many times.  Then you know the person does it ya know?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

It was only twice but that was my thinking too. I know I'm an exception and not horrible but still...

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it could.  I doubt a lot of people are going to want to have their children around someone who has beenc aught multiple times with illegal substances.  Yes plenty of people do it and haven't been caught but its different when the person has been caught that many times.  Then you know the person does it ya know?

momto3nuts
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Probably not, but it depends on whoever reviews your file. I know a few teachers who had drug charges over 20 years ago, and it was all minor weed charges. It really depends on the class of drug, conviction and how long ago it was.

Mrs.Vallo
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

In our school any drug or sexual charges you can't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

IDK. I just did a background check and it had a lot of question regarding sex charges ect but nothing about drugs. I guess you'll have to give it a shot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Yes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN