Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Whats the process for washing cloth diapers?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

I'm babysitting a cloth diaper wearer next month and am trying to imagine how this goes. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof1.
by Jamie<3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM

bump

momof3grls4517
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM

BUMP!

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM
We all do it a bit differently. ..I have a front loader and do a cold wash & rinse with no detergent, then a warm wash with detergent and then another cold wash/rinse. I line dry them.
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

if you're babysitting?  shake the poo out, wrap it up and send it home.

I wouldn't wash a babysitting kids diapers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM

So even when I empty out the mess inside, it's ok to put the dirty diaper in the wash? Does the washer kill fecal mater bacteria with bleach?

Quoting almondpigeon:

We all do it a bit differently. ..I have a front loader and do a cold wash & rinse with no detergent, then a warm wash with detergent and then another cold wash/rinse. I line dry them.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Are you having to wash them? If you are, She should be telling you how she does it.

For us - First they got in warm/hot for a wash with no soap. Second wash, they go in hot and all. Then I do one more. If I feel they need it again. I will take out my covers and run the investors through again.
amberlyp
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
The routine varies from household to household but I rinse, wash with soap once, then rinse rinse rinse. Dry in the dryer :) how nice and considerate of you to pay attention to that stuff
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I use AIO pocket diapers. I was my liners and diapers separate. Naturally I clean the poop off the diapers first but I was the diapers using hot water and natural detergent. I also use the prewash option. For the liners I regularly "strip" them and wash them on the sanitize setting on my machine. I am waiting for a different natural detergent to come in to use for the liners because the original detergent causes my liners to have absorbency issues. I hang the diapers to dry and dry the liners in the dryers
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Rinse it really well before you put it in the diaper pail. Most diapers aren't supposed to be washed with chlorine bleach. I forgot to say I add borax in with my detergent.

Also, if the baby is exclusively bf, you won't even need to rinse it because bf poop is water soluble

Quoting Anonymous:

So even when I empty out the mess inside, it's ok to put the dirty diaper in the wash? Does the washer kill fecal mater bacteria with bleach?

Quoting almondpigeon:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Pkay so If I wash 2 cycles one with bleach, and duble rinse on my washer, is that sanitary for clothes to go in after? I guess so, right? Even undies have trace fecal matter. Just wondering though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)