Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am sad that things like this happen, all the time.

Posted by   + Show Post

My dh is a avid biker, and he has a bunch of biker friends from this forum he goes to (kinda like how I go here lol)  anyways, he just found out one of the guys friends was on his bike with his wife and a truck ran a red light and hit them, killing the wife instantly and hes in the hospital, they dont think he is going to make it.

I just wish people would be careful especially around bikers.  I get so scared with my dh going out, but its so much cheaper in gas, he takes it to work and I just lay there waiting for him to call saying he got in.  I am not saying its not always the bikers fault but  alot of the time it isnt. Its always someone saying ' i didnt see them" I see bikes when i am driving just fine.  These people have families, I just feel like people who cause any sort of accident dont think about that. No one should be on their cell phones, or really doing anything that would take that much distraction to take your eyes off the road like that! 

its depressing. I hope that guy lives. 

rant over 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
iloveashton804
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM
That is how my Dad died. An SUV cut across 3 lanes so they didn't miss their turn. :( I don't know who was driving the SUV, just that it was rented. I wonder if they ever think about having taken a life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Yesterday my husband hit a man on a bike.  The guy was weaving in and out of traffic like a crazy person.  My husband never saw him because he would ride up on everyone's blind spot like a moron.  My husband was getting over when the guy darted from one lane to the next and he hit the guy.  Of course the guy wasn't wearing a helmet and died at the scene.  My husband feels terrible but he knows it wasn't his fault.  Three people had called to report the guy and his poor driving.  The guys wife is already talking about suing us but she won't win it was her husbands fault and he would be alive if he had been following the law and not driving like a maniac. 

I agree we should watch out for those on their bikes.  Bikers need to remember to drive safely and wear a damn helmet.  If the guy had worn a helmet he would most likely be alive and my poor husband wouldn't have witnessed a death like he did. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I am sorry for that guys family, but around here, there is a HUGE number of cyclists and very rarely do I see helmets!  I know it's warm, but COME ON!  Seems pretty straight foward to me...ride a bike, wear a helmet.  I honestly don't have a lot of sympathy for those who ride without one.  

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I have a 'Start seeing motorcycle' sticker on my window, every time I look in my review I see it. My hubby rides his motorcycle to work as well.
ravenseeyore
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Sending prayers.  Over the years I've lost several friends this way.  It never makes sense.

ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM

My husband, son (he was 7),it was 2 years age and I witnessed a car pull out from a mall and run over a biker, the man in the car never looked to see if anyone was coming, never stopped to look, just pulled out like a bat out of hell, it was awful. We stopped and called 911, the man was awake but incoherent, was making no sense. I never did find out how he was, to this day my son asks about the man on the bike. The only thing the guy in the car said was that the biker should have checked to see if he was pulling out, how about dont pull out when a bike is coming dumbass!

sissy502
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM

We crossed paths with a biker the other day, (hubby was driving) 

Anyway, we crossed his path as he was making a turn or we were... I didn't notice anything but a biker.

A few minutes later out of the blue hubby pops up with "i didn't see him, he was in my blind spot"

I asked him "who, what are you talking about?"

He proceeded to tell me he didn't see the biker.

Only he & God knows how close that biker came to eating pavement.

Blind spots are evil!!!!!!  And sadly, accidents happen.

We are a family of bikers & it's so frustrating when ya see bikers on the road driving as if everyone already clearly sees them. But the fact of the matter is blind spots do exist.

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM

well.........it just so happens that I have been a part of study examining safety for individuals who bike in cities. In the US cities we looked at, bikers were safer when there were designated bike paths.

I don't think any1 wants to hit a biker, it's just that car accidents happen and when a bicycle is involved it is often pretty bad. I remember head trauma was a variable of interest for us.

I'm sorry for your husband's friend and wife :(

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Tay06
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM

That's so sad.  :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Every time I see someone on a motorcycle my heart drops. I hear of to many stories of people getting killed. About 2 years ago a motorcycle with a man and a woman on it hit me. I was turning and I guess they just weren't paying attention. They were cut and bruised but ok. I felt so bad that it happened but it wasn't my fault.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN