Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A test for the homeless outside my local market.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies

I am a bleeding heart. But sometimes the regulars bleed me dry exiting the market. I'm so sick of this one dude who every.damn.day. tells me "excuse me Ms, can you spare 60 cents for the bus, I'm short" EVERDAY he says that- I finally told him- "dude, you ask me that everyday. Apparently you haven't gone anywhere." 

So..What if I brough leftover dinner with a plastic fork, chips and a water. Would that thin out who's need and who's a crackhead?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I always do that...I never give cash, always offer food, water, coffee, etc.  I have done gift cards to restaurants before too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I've boughten things for the hom;es in the past just to get a dirtly look for not giving cash. One time I included cookies and the woman said "thanks for asking if I was a diabetic!" Sorry.

Quoting Anonymous:

I always do that...I never give cash, always offer food, water, coffee, etc.  I have done gift cards to restaurants before too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I've come out with bread and lunch meat. They've never refused. But they've been ran off.
lunchforthesky
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Yea I make sandwiches and there are people who cry because they are so hungry and thankful and then there are others who look at you like you are stupid and just put it in their bag or pocket. Sorts them out real quick.
loisl25
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Yeah, I give food if I have it, but I don't give them money. I don't want to enable an addict. They could overdose and die, and it would be partly my fault. :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Great. I hope it help me sort it out. I've decided instead of coming out of pocket to jusrt pack up leftovers in ziplock bags with forks. I've been hungry before and I would have appreciated that. SO we'll see.

Quoting lunchforthesky:

Yea I make sandwiches and there are people who cry because they are so hungry and thankful and then there are others who look at you like you are stupid and just put it in their bag or pocket. Sorts them out real quick.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM
3 moms liked this
I I've food and money. No matter what they do with the money, my intentions are pure.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this

No.

I was homeless and wouldn't accept it. If it wasn't hermetically sealed, I was NOT touching it.

There are too many crazy psychos in this world that think the homeless are sub human beings and literally try to torture and eradicate them as 'scum'. I wasn't risking my life.

However I NEVER asked for money (nor did I let anyone know I was homeless)

If you had given me a container of strawberries I would have said thank you, gone into walmart, washed them and ate them.
if you had given me a bag of chips that was sealed, I would have eaten that.

If you gave me a tupperware full of yesterdays meatloaf left overs, I would have politely declined.

Either way, giving him food enables him to save the money he does get, for whatever purpose.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

You are very kind, good idea to just give food, not cash. A whole lot of them are just addicts or lazy so you're not really doing them a favor giving cash.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I tried to give a guy a JOB.  Literally.  1993, I was working as a manager at an inspection facility for new cars.  All we really needed was someone to a) show up on time b) with a pulse, and c) to scan the cars, note major defects and say yes or no.  I would have hired him - he actually passed the first interview.  And way back then, this job paid $14 an hour.  He turned it down, said it would "infringe" on his free time, and besides, he made more panhandling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)