Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My b**** coworker is trying to get me fired because of my kid's needs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a single mom to an 8 year old and my daughter has some anxiety issues. They flare up especially at the beginning of the school year, and I have had to leave 5 times this week and last week already. 

I'm a manager at a company and work closely with another girl. She's 24, just out of college and obviously doesn't have any kids. We have a set amount of work that we need to get through a day. When I have to leave suddenly because my daugher is having a panic attack or can't calm down at school, she does have to pick up the slack for the rest of the day.

She is complaining to our bosses that it's unfair that I am leaving so often and leaving her with all the work. She's claiming I'm not pulling my weight. My boss wants to have a meeting tomorrow to discuss it.

I'm fuming. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Replies (61-70):
WheelerWife
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I'm sorry your dd is having a hard time, but your coworker is right to complain.

If the roles were reversed, and you were 24 with no kids and no knowledge about how hard having kids is, would you complain?

Hopefully your your boss will understand your situation and your daughter will start having a better time at school. 

Caera
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM

It is unfair. I'd be pissed too.

WheelerWife
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM

That's brilliant!! I keep forgetting it exists for just this kind of situation. 

FMLA would be worth looking into. Maybe OP could get a few weeks off at the beginning of the school year to help her dd adjust. 

Quoting Pincher:

FMLA anyone? If its a medical condition documented by her Doctor - you could probably use FMLA to keep your job protected. 

curious1145
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM
She's right. You really sound entitled. People with kids (or anyone for that matter) shouldn't get a free pass to get away with whatever. 5 times in that short period is a lot. I have no words really. Why on earth are you fuming? I know you said she didn't really react until now. Well,sounds like she tried to be understanding, but this went too far!! As others said, you need a different kind of job, maybe a work at home job or to not work if your daughter is so needy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your Co worker.
And this is coming from a mom who is in your same position.
When personal life circumstances interferes with your work you have to find an alternative. It's not fair for your co worker to take on what you should have done when you had to leave.
Find another job that can accommodate your unique situation, or find a friend or family member that can tend to your dd when you are at work.
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I understand why your upset.  I had an employee do that to me.  She skipped me completely and went straight to my supervisor.  The sad thing is, I completely agreed with her and we worked on a new game plan.

But, try to approach tomorrow's meeting with an understanding shoulder instead of anger.  Tell her you understand why she would be upset, but your trying to take care of your family.  Ask her how she would handle the issue and from there, perhaps, with the agreement of your boss you guys can work together on getting around your family issues.

Good luck!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I wish she had just spoken to me about it first. Instead, she's been pretty passive aggressive every day but didn't directly do anything until she spoke to our bosses today. 

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I understrand her grief.  I wouldn't have complained, I would have spoken with you directly to try and come up with a game plan on how to handle these situations.

Instead of going in there up in arms tomorrow, I would be thinking about a game plan to handle these situations.

Hope it all works out!!!!

mommy1234242
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

She's right - sorry but the work is on her and she is doing double - when you leave -  it also sounds like your child might need some psychological help to give her have strategies for dealing with panic attacks  - and the teacher could also learn of these and help your child as well - 

curious1145
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I don't see her as being being excitable or snarky and bitchy.

Quoting ahappymommy:

Does somebody have a tampon stuck in their ass? Why are you being so snarky and bitchy, take a deep breath and chill!

Quoting Anonymous:

great, still my opinion that this is a troll.

Quoting ahappymommy:

Not necessarilya girl I worked with got fired because she wouldnt poop in the bathroom at work, she would leave for the day when she had to poop, it was terrible, she pretty much left everyday! People do stupid things!

Quoting Anonymous:

troll fail

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Iwould be pissed if i had to do your work too
Uhura
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Well, she's right.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured