Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DD was diagnosed today

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:25 AM
  • 179 Replies
2 moms liked this

Finally we know! My DD aged 5 is on the mild side of the Autism spectrum. I wasn't that shocked when we were told but its just so good to know for sure and its not a maybe she is maybe she isn't answer. 

Now we can plan, and we have so much support, from carers allowance too $12,000 towards a teachers aid when she starts school next year.

I am still worried about how the future will be but after today it seems a lot clearer and now I can understand why she is a little bit different. 

I love my DD so much and I am so happy we are now in the know so we can help her through her schooling so much, with more knowledge and understanding. 

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:32 AM
6 moms liked this
OMG everyone has autism now.
JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:33 AM

I think A lot of people have always had it but recently its becoming easier to spot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Possibly. It's slightly annoying though seeing every single kid being diagnosed with autism. Makes me feel like my complication free child is the odd one out. :/

Quoting JulietAngel89:

I think A lot of people have always had it but recently its becoming easier to spot.

Quoting Anonymous:

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this

What country are you in?

I have autism. Took 25 years to diagnose and even *I* think its over diagnosed. But congrats! 

I know a diagnosis can be a huge relief!

JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Yes I know so many Autistic children.

Quoting Anonymous:

Possibly. It's slightly annoying though seeing every single kid being diagnosed with autism. Makes me feel like my complication free child is the odd one out. :/

Quoting JulietAngel89:

Quoting Anonymous:

JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:38 AM

I am in Australia.

I honestly do not know a whole lot and even the stuff people tell me confuses me. 

Can you tell me what it means to you to be Autistic?

Just to help me understand.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

What country are you in?

I have autism. Took 25 years to diagnose and even *I* think its over diagnosed. But congrats! 

susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

My thoughts exactly, and people seem to be very eager to jump on the bandwagon. Many conditions have been mistakenly diagnosed as autism for decades, but  now all of a sudden experts KNOW what autism is and that EVERYONE has it. No one can have behavior problems caused by many things,  or learning disabilities, or even just march to their own drum, EVERYONE has to be autistic. Sadly, just because some dr attaches that label, doesn't make it true.

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Ah that explains the caregiver pay and stuff. We dont have that here. 

To me.. it just explains why I'm different. I learn differently, I memorize differently (I am obscene with numbers, dates, times, places..and negative events)

I am just different. I interpret people differently, I feel differently. Something that doesnt affect normal people REALLY bothers me (to the point of PTSD) and some things that bother normal people, dont bother me.

So little is known about it, its just kind of like a title to a problem we know NOTHING about. Its just 'I'm autistic, so I have social learning issues' but I still dont know WHY.

The best part of it? Its an excuse that people understand. I'm not a social butterfly and people used to think I was stuck up.. nope. I just dont 'get it' and its because I'm austistic.

As soon as those words fly out of my mouth (that I rarely ever use) people instantly back down, or try to work with me to find solutions (like in classes)

Quoting JulietAngel89:

I am in Australia.

I honestly do not know a whole lot and even the stuff people tell me confuses me. 

Quoting thefiregoddess:

What country are you in?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:52 AM
I sort of agree with the other poster. I feel like doctors are throwing this diagnosis at parents now.

What exactly is "wrong" with your child?

What made you take said child to the doctor? ?
JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:54 AM

My DD is very social and loves to try to make friends, but she doesnt know what is appropriate. she is learning slowly what is the right way to introduce yourself because for years if she saw another child would scream at them in an excited way and grab at them for hugs.

She still hugs but its toned down a lot now, she also would run a lot when she was 3. We would be at the store and she wuld think it was fun to just run, she wouldnt look back and this happened every trip out.. I was at my wits end and I was thinking of a child restraint because taking her out was turning into something I wanted to avoid.

I didnt end up getting one, everyone is so anti child restraint that they would rather my DD get run over or kid napped then have her protected by my side. everyone would say "be a mother and hold her hand" thats very hard to do when she would give me her dead weight the whole time we were out, there would not be one second where she would just stand with me and all I ever got in online forums were "well I am a good parent and my little angel never runs from me"

It took till 5 years old till she wouldnt wet her pants during the day. The relief I felt when that stopped was amazing!

She only really started stringing together proper sentances this year. So I am just so happy I know where everything is at.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Ah that explains the caregiver pay and stuff. We dont have that here. 

To me.. it just explains why I'm different. I learn differently, I memorize differently (I am obscene with numbers, dates, times, places..and negative events)

I am just different. I interpret people differently, I feel differently. Something that doesnt affect normal people REALLY bothers me (to the point of PTSD) and some things that bother normal people, dont bother me.

So little is known about it, its just kind of like a title to a problem we know NOTHING about. Its just 'I'm autistic, so I have social learning issues' but I still dont know WHY.

The best part of it? Its an excuse that people understand. I'm not a social butterfly and people used to think I was stuck up.. nope. I just dont 'get it' and its because I'm austistic.

As soon as those words fly out of my mouth (that I rarely ever use) people instantly back down, or try to work with me to find solutions (like in classes)

Quoting JulietAngel89:

I am in Australia.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

What country are you in?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured