Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O What does a "good" packed school lunch look like?

Posted by   + Show Post

...maybe I should say "good enough" instead?  Surely there is an acceptable middle ground between an all-natural bento box with exotic animal shaped food and a smushed greasy brown bag full of Twinkies and Kool-Aid!  :-)

So what do you consider to be the minimum requirements for a packed lunch for an elementary school-aged kid?  What would you consider ideal? 

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (21-30):
Liastele
by Lauren on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
16 moms liked this

Whatever the child likes? I don't bother with artsy shit, I just shove fruits and veggies into a Hello Kitty tupperware with a yogurt, juice box, and a spoon. Tada, done.

Mommy2my2Girls
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

i give mine 2 juice boxes one for snack one for lunch a bag of chips a cheese stick, pudding or yogurt and one of the snacks they have picked out!!

ksueditz
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

my dd7 took a nutella on whole wheat bread, a yogurt, cheese crackers w/ peanut butter, and a capri sun super v, (haha, a cafemom influencer purchase! LOL) 

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
20 moms liked this

my son can't eat a note... and well, I give him a juice pouch, a sammitch and fruit/veggy and he's still hungry after. So treat it is, for us.

Quoting momtosandl:

What about a note, that could replace the treat.  What kid wouldn't rather have a note from mom saying "I love you" instead of some lousy treat?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supergasper:

Sandwich, apple, juice box, a small treat

no need for a treat.

Liastele
by Lauren on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

My oldest would love all of that, minus the radish. Sounds like you guys have great lunches.

Quoting ZombieMeat:

What *I* consider ideal will probably seem crazy to some. lol I'll give you a snippet into a few lunches my 7 year old eats. (We home school, so no packing a lunch for school)

Salad with raw carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, boiled egg, sunflower seeds, radishes, olives, goat cheese with home made croutons and home made dressing and a side of fruit

Chicken stir fry lettuce cups with quinoa *fried rice* and fruit

Leftovers with fruit

Hummus with raw veggies for dipping, home made mini blueberry muffin (made with honey and coconut sugar) and fruit

Home made shitake mushroom pizza with garlic aioli and truffle oil with fruit

Lemon water is the only drink we have for lunch and fruit is the only snack. Dessert is for after dinner.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I pack a juice box, a sandwich, a veggie, a fruit, a dairy thing (cheese or yogurt tube) a thing of chips or pretzels and a small treat (like a Hershey kiss or starburst).  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

They're really pushing health-consciousness on the kids these days...

Quoting momtosandl:

Really?  That sucks.  What is the rationale for that?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think a small treat is fine, but our school won't even allow it.

Anonymous
2 moms liked this

it has pubic hairs in it

Anonymous
1 mom liked this
It makes me sad that my kids have had to take to eating so fast in order to eat enough. :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

I tried packing a healthy lunch for my kid. They just don't give them enough time to eat.

So now, i send a sandwich, some pretzels or something and a juice or water. He pigs out on other stuff when he gets home.

PoisonEyeV
by _ on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM
63 moms liked this

A ham sandwich on bread that I stayed up all night making in my own kitchen. Ham coming from the grass fed pig that I raise in my backyard. Grapes from our vines and hard boiled eggs straight from our chicken's ass...still warm.  And water that I purify all by myself.

*wink wink*

~~ ~~* ~~ ~~ ~~* ~~ ~~ ~~* ~~ ~~ ~~* ~~ ~~* ~~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)