Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O What does a "good" packed school lunch look like?

Posted by   + Show Post

...maybe I should say "good enough" instead?  Surely there is an acceptable middle ground between an all-natural bento box with exotic animal shaped food and a smushed greasy brown bag full of Twinkies and Kool-Aid!  :-)

So what do you consider to be the minimum requirements for a packed lunch for an elementary school-aged kid?  What would you consider ideal? 

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I think a small treat is fine, but our school won't even allow it.

momtosandl
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Looks awesome! 

Quoting BaconQueen:

supergasper
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree.  It's not a need.  Just nice to have a little something yummy after the sandwich at lunch.  My dd always eats her fruit during the morning break.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supergasper:

Sandwich, apple, juice box, a small treat

no need for a treat.

momtosandl
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM
3 moms liked this

Really?  That sucks.  What is the rationale for that?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think a small treat is fine, but our school won't even allow it.

ZombieMeat
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
22 moms liked this

What *I* consider ideal will probably seem crazy to some. lol I'll give you a snippet into a few lunches my 7 year old eats. (We home school, so no packing a lunch for school)

Salad with raw carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, boiled egg, sunflower seeds, radishes, olives, goat cheese with home made croutons and home made dressing and a side of fruit

Chicken stir fry lettuce cups with quinoa *fried rice* and fruit

Leftovers with fruit

Hummus with raw veggies for dipping, home made mini blueberry muffin (made with honey and coconut sugar) and fruit

Home made shitake mushroom pizza with garlic aioli and truffle oil with fruit

Lemon water is the only drink we have for lunch and fruit is the only snack. Dessert is for after dinner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried packing a healthy lunch for my kid. They just don't give them enough time to eat.
So now, i send a sandwich, some pretzels or something and a juice or water. He pigs out on other stuff when he gets home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM
13 moms liked this

Why does everyone assume that the bento boxes means the lunches have to be all crafty?  I thought the entire point of the bento boxes was portion control, not fruit cut up into animal shapes..

supergasper
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM
9 moms liked this

Will you pack my lunch too please?

Quoting ZombieMeat:

What *I* consider ideal will probably seem crazy to some. lol I'll give you a snippet into a few lunches my 7 year old eats. (We home school, so no packing a lunch for school)

Salad with raw carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, boiled egg, sunflower seeds, radishes, olives, goat cheese with home made croutons and home made dressing and a side of fruit

Chicken stir fry lettuce cups with quinoa *fried rice* and fruit

Leftovers with fruit

Hummus with raw veggies for dipping, home made mini blueberry muffin (made with honey and coconut sugar) and fruit

Home made shitake mushroom pizza with garlic aioli and truffle oil with fruit

Lemon water is the only drink we have for lunch and fruit is the only snack. Dessert is for after dinner.

BaconQueen
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks, she packed it herself. 

Quoting momtosandl:

Looks awesome! 

Quoting BaconQueen:

justahousewife
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Yesterday I picked a fresh salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and Anaheim peppers) for my oldest and packed her a tortilla wrap and cheese to eat it on. This morning it was last night's leftovers southwest style corn/squash with pork steak, fresh tomatoes from the garden and homemade bread on the side. She gets milk at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)