Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O What does a "good" packed school lunch look like?

Posted by   + Show Post

...maybe I should say "good enough" instead?  Surely there is an acceptable middle ground between an all-natural bento box with exotic animal shaped food and a smushed greasy brown bag full of Twinkies and Kool-Aid!  :-)

So what do you consider to be the minimum requirements for a packed lunch for an elementary school-aged kid?  What would you consider ideal? 

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (31-40):
momtosandl
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds great!  Think I'll make spaghetti for dinner, in fact.

Quoting MommyBoha:

IDK. today my kids took leftover spaghetti, garlic bread, carrots and a homemade fruit rollup. In 31 thermal tote bags

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
6 moms liked this

Today my son took a make his own pbandj, carrots and dip, and a pb chocolate chip cookie. Snack was a granola bar, blueberries and strawberries. Oh and not some great healthy granola bar either. The quaker chewy kind. 

I consider that a medium level healthy meal. I know it's probably crappy by cafemom standards. 

momof4in29
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
11 moms liked this
I will feed my kid what I damn,well please hell back when I was a kid I got a pb&j some chips and a twinkie ( I hated twinkies) and would trade another kid for gushers or something and im still alive and ok :)
SaratheV
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
21 moms liked this

I don;t care what anyone says. I give a little 'treat'

.Lvmybabies.
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Sounds yummy to me

Quoting ZombieMeat:

What *I* consider ideal will probably seem crazy to some. lol I'll give you a snippet into a few lunches my 7 year old eats. (We home school, so no packing a lunch for school)

Salad with raw carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, boiled egg, sunflower seeds, radishes, olives, goat cheese with home made croutons and home made dressing and a side of fruit

Chicken stir fry lettuce cups with quinoa *fried rice* and fruit

Leftovers with fruit

Hummus with raw veggies for dipping, home made mini blueberry muffin (made with honey and coconut sugar) and fruit

Home made shitake mushroom pizza with garlic aioli and truffle oil with fruit

Lemon water is the only drink we have for lunch and fruit is the only snack. Dessert is for after dinner.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Eh, my son gets a note and a treat. Of course a treat isn't necessary, that's why it's called a treat. 

Quoting Idntreallycare:

my son can't eat a note... and well, I give him a juice pouch, a sammitch and fruit/veggy and he's still hungry after. So treat it is, for us.

Quoting momtosandl:

What about a note, that could replace the treat.  What kid wouldn't rather have a note from mom saying "I love you" instead of some lousy treat?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supergasper:

Sandwich, apple, juice box, a small treat

no need for a treat.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
16 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Whole grains, protein, fruit and veggies.

This is DDs lunch today
.Lvmybabies.
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
What's in the container?

I love the dark chocolate almond milk, yummy!

Quoting SaratheV:

Mobile Photo

momtosandl
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Pretty sure my son wouldn't eat any of that, but I sure would.  :-)

Quoting ZombieMeat:

What *I* consider ideal will probably seem crazy to some. lol I'll give you a snippet into a few lunches my 7 year old eats. (We home school, so no packing a lunch for school)

Salad with raw carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, boiled egg, sunflower seeds, radishes, olives, goat cheese with home made croutons and home made dressing and a side of fruit

Chicken stir fry lettuce cups with quinoa *fried rice* and fruit

Leftovers with fruit

Hummus with raw veggies for dipping, home made mini blueberry muffin (made with honey and coconut sugar) and fruit

Home made shitake mushroom pizza with garlic aioli and truffle oil with fruit

Lemon water is the only drink we have for lunch and fruit is the only snack. Dessert is for after dinner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)