Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O What does a "good" packed school lunch look like?

Posted by   + Show Post

...maybe I should say "good enough" instead?  Surely there is an acceptable middle ground between an all-natural bento box with exotic animal shaped food and a smushed greasy brown bag full of Twinkies and Kool-Aid!  :-)

So what do you consider to be the minimum requirements for a packed lunch for an elementary school-aged kid?  What would you consider ideal? 

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (41-50):
cLanief
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Sammy or proteinish food, fruit, veg, carb, good drink, treat.. whatever that may be lol my sons today is a fruit snack.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
5 moms liked this

You know, just because it is in a bento box doesn't mean it is fancy. I just hate paying for plastic baggies, and washing reusable bags.

For the lunches I make my son, I try to have at least two servings of vegitables, one serving of fruit, a protein (today he got my cheater Chik fil a nuggets. I make a big batch ahead of time and freeze them for days I am too lazy to make something else), a serving of something with healthy fats, and some days, a serving of dairy. And he has water to drink.

I am not one of those health food obsessed moms, but I want to make sure he has the right fuel in his body to help him learn, and help the teacher by keeping him in the right frame of mind to learn. Also, his school has a ton of food restrictions, so it is easier to give him fresh produce and home made things, than it is for me to pour over the labels of prepacked snacks.

BaconQueen

Careful, your sarcasm is coming off as spite.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

A ham sandwich on bread that I stayed up all night making in my own kitchen. Ham coming from the grass fed pig that I raise in my backyard. Grapes from our vines and hard boiled eggs straight from our chicken's ass...still warm.  And water that I purify all by myself.

*wink wink*

ZombieMeat

That's what we are having, so that will be our lunch for tomorrow. lol

Quoting momtosandl:

Sounds great!  Think I'll make spaghetti for dinner, in fact.

Quoting MommyBoha:

IDK. today my kids took leftover spaghetti, garlic bread, carrots and a homemade fruit rollup. In 31 thermal tote bags

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

This was dd(7) lunch for the first day of school plus pirate booty and a bottle of water. Sometimes she has
Sandwiches or other main dishes. But always lots of fruits and veggies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Zombie.Girl.
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I always make sure my DD has...

a main dish like a PB&J, homemade mac'n'cheese, a salad, etc.

a side dish like crackers or bread, etc.

a fruit - an apple, bananas or pineapple

a snack - a cookie or Annie's gummies, etc.

and a drink.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

This morning I packed DD leftover spaghetti, a banana and some trail mix.  Other days it would cheese & crackers or rice cakes with peanut butter, some kind of fruit and/or veggie and something like graham crackers, trail mix, yogurt raisins, etc.  We do not pack cookies, cake, chips, etc. and always make sure there is at least one fruit or vegetable.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
It should include a protein, fruit, vegetables and carbs- whole wheat if possible. Water and/or plain milk. A treat is OK, but not essential.
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Where did you get the container? I have 2
Very similar but it only has a big and 2 smaller ones. Love that this one has 3 smaller ones

Quoting BaconQueen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZombieMeat
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Would you like it Bento style? lol Minus the weird dyed cheese, of course. Haha

Quoting supergasper:

Will you pack my lunch too please?

Quoting ZombieMeat:

What *I* consider ideal will probably seem crazy to some. lol I'll give you a snippet into a few lunches my 7 year old eats. (We home school, so no packing a lunch for school)

Salad with raw carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, boiled egg, sunflower seeds, radishes, olives, goat cheese with home made croutons and home made dressing and a side of fruit

Chicken stir fry lettuce cups with quinoa *fried rice* and fruit

Leftovers with fruit

Hummus with raw veggies for dipping, home made mini blueberry muffin (made with honey and coconut sugar) and fruit

Home made shitake mushroom pizza with garlic aioli and truffle oil with fruit

Lemon water is the only drink we have for lunch and fruit is the only snack. Dessert is for after dinner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN