Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O What does a "good" packed school lunch look like?

Posted by   + Show Post

...maybe I should say "good enough" instead?  Surely there is an acceptable middle ground between an all-natural bento box with exotic animal shaped food and a smushed greasy brown bag full of Twinkies and Kool-Aid!  :-)

So what do you consider to be the minimum requirements for a packed lunch for an elementary school-aged kid?  What would you consider ideal? 

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (791-800):
momtosandl
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

It was me, and yes it was sarcasm. 

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Hahahaha I know right? I can't believe that person even said "what kid wouldn't want a note from mom instead of a cookie in their lunch?" ?!?! Is that sarcasm or something because 99% of the kids I know would rather have a cookie!!

Quoting Miller0305:

I tell my kids I love them a thousand times a day... They'd rather have the treat lol

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Oh god you crunchies are so obnoxious. The kid ain't gonna die if he eats a friggin cookie once a week or even ONCE A DAY! Gasp!

Quoting momtosandl:

What about a note, that could replace the treat.  What kid wouldn't rather have a note from mom saying "I love you" instead of some lousy treat?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supergasper:

Sandwich, apple, juice box, a small treat

no need for a treat.

xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Lol ok I wasn't sure cuz it honestly didn't sound like sarcasm and 90% of the moms on here believe snacks even once a month are a bad idea.

Quoting momtosandl:

It was me, and yes it was sarcasm. 

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Hahahaha I know right? I can't believe that person even said "what kid wouldn't want a note from mom instead of a cookie in their lunch?" ?!?! Is that sarcasm or something because 99% of the kids I know would rather have a cookie!!

Quoting Miller0305:

I tell my kids I love them a thousand times a day... They'd rather have the treat lol

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Oh god you crunchies are so obnoxious. The kid ain't gonna die if he eats a friggin cookie once a week or even ONCE A DAY! Gasp!

Quoting momtosandl:

What about a note, that could replace the treat.  What kid wouldn't rather have a note from mom saying "I love you" instead of some lousy treat?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supergasper:

Sandwich, apple, juice box, a small treat

no need for a treat.

aprilmercedes
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 6:46 PM

NO juice boxes! YUCK! I pack my son a bottle of water, veggies and a sandwich...

GramaKim
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

My mother always packed a fruit, chips, vegetables like carrots or celeries or tomatoes, a small treat like a cookie, and a big sandwich.  We ate everything every day.  We bought milk at school.  I think I had the best lunches in the school.

My kids always ate in the cafeteria, since they were with their dad and he didn't pack lunches.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 107 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

My boys have autism and are very picky. We got a Planet Box and it is great for portion control and helping me to do a variety of foods. We usually do gluten free chicken tenders, GF fruit snacks, GF pretzels, grapes or strawberries and a small treat. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 108 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I worry about botulism. Some foods weren't meant to sit in a box for hours before consumption :0/
-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM
At this point in time.. anything my DD will eat. We tried the whole healthy lunch thing and the school basically told us to stop sending it. She wouldn't eat it. Literally. We switched over to lunchables because she has to eat. We know she will eat them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Great idea using the silicon cupcake liner for the salad!

Quoting supermama322:

Mobile Photo

Whole grains, protein, fruit and veggies.

This is DDs lunch today

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I send my kid with hardly anything to school bc he brings it home and says there is not enough time! Wth! He comes home and needs a second lunch every single day so I dont even waste the food anymore.

Quoting Anonymous:

It makes me sad that my kids have had to take to eating so fast in order to eat enough. :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

I tried packing a healthy lunch for my kid. They just don't give them enough time to eat.

So now, i send a sandwich, some pretzels or something and a juice or water. He pigs out on other stuff when he gets home.

CMay2CK
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Are you asking about the whole grain bread being thrown away?  No that is not a joke.  I see it all the time.  

Quoting LucyMom08: Is this bread comment a joke?

Quoting CMay2CK:

I'm going to burst a few bubbles, sorry.  I volunteer alot, and I've been on campus a TON during lunch time.  Sadly, those fabulous whole grain sandwiches are the first thing THROWN AWAY by your children.  No, they are not supposed to.  Yes, the lunch duty personnel is supposed to keep an eye on that kind of thing and stop the kids, but kids are smart.  They know when to do it.  And yes, even your little angel will lie about it when you ask.  

Get your kids involved.  Ask them what they want.  Hey, why not let them help pack it?  And for pete's sake, a little treat now and again will NOT blow your child up into obesity territory.  Everything in moderation ladies.  :-)

That said, my kids usually get a sandwich, fruit, a snack and a 100% juice or Super V Pouch.  The sandwich type varies but never on whole wheat bread (my kids won't eat it).  I have used the smooth whole grain white bread, though.  The snack is usually a whole grain granola bar (this is where you can sneak in the whole grain), cheese snack, or yogurt-depending on the weather.  Total aside, but it appalls me that our schools have the kids keep their lunches outside on hooks.  We live in SoCal.  Today it was almost 90 degrees with 50% humidity.  YUK!! What's wrong with letting them in the air conditioning??  Okay, rant over. ;-)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)