Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

GOD ONLY GIVES SPECIAL CHILDREN TO SPECIAL PEOPLE.

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 22 Replies

Family with epileptic son touched after stranger pays for dinner, sends kind note

Note

View gallery

A North Carolina family with an epileptic child was given a touching gift on Friday when an anonymous stranger paid for their dinner at a restaurant, leaving them a note that is, not surprisingly, going viral online.

The note read: "God only gives special children to special people."

The message was delivered to Ashley England and her family, including her 8-year-old son, Riley, at the Stag-N-Doe pizza restaurant in China Grove, N.C., on Friday by a waitress.

"I'll try to do this without crying," the waitress told the family, according to WBTV.com. "But another customer has paid for your bill tonight and wanted me to give you this note."

England said Riley, who is nonverbal, gets frustrated because he can't speak, and he had been especially rowdy during the meal.

"He threw the phone and started screaming," England told WBTV. "The past few weeks have been very hard and trying for us, especially with public outings. Riley was getting loud and hitting the table, and I know it was aggravating to some people."

Riley's seizures started when he was 18 months old, England said.

She said the mystery diner's random act of kindness brought her to tears.

"To have someone do that small act towards us shows that some people absolutely understand what we are going through and how hard it is to face the public sometimes," she said. "They made me cry, blessed me more than they know. I felt like out of all the rude negative comments that we are faced with, these outweighs them. The people who care. Little did he know what struggles we had been facing lately, and this was surely needed at that moment."

England posted the note on Facebook with a message of her own: "Dear stranger, thank you for giving me a blessing tonight in a way you will never know."

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM

That was nice. Hope the family will pay it forward! :)

tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

That's so touching.

I'm assuming he's also autistic, not just epileptic.  Why did they mention his epilepsy and not the autism, I wonder.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
That makes me sad and happy at the same time.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Oops, sorry =0)

Quoting tardistraveller:

I already posted this lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I love this, its nice to hear good news for a change and know that there are good people in the world.
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

meh, it's making it's round son the internet, it's a nice story :)

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Oops, sorry =0)

Quoting tardistraveller:

I already posted this lol

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Touching. But I do not feel special.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM
That's only about an hour from me. :-) I'm always so happy to see people in my community reaching out to their neighbors even when they don't know them.
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I think it's great that the person did this.  It sounds like the family needed it.  Personally though I have always hated that "only special people get special children".  Idk I've always imagined the family in question screaming @#$% you God thanks for thinking I'm "special" at the heavens or something.  I've worried of people thinking it a cop-out.  It sounds like this family took it in the spirit it was intended and that is good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)