Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hi everyone,

I just joined cafe mom.  We have a lovely 6 year old only daughter who's very quick to remind everyone she's almost 7.  She just started first grade.

She still wets the bed every night.  The doctor says she's a little young to try an alarm or medication, and would rather wait a couple years before trying that.  We limit fluids (only a sip or two of water after dinner), and have tried waking her up without much success. 

She wears goodnites, but they only keep the bed dry about half the time, so it doesn't help that much with laundry.  Anyone else have a child that still wets, and/or any clever ideas to help it stop, or at least reduce the laundry?

Susan

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM
My 6 yo still wets the bed. We use a natural pull up that is in a yellow package with a crocodile on the front. They never leak even though she's a heavy wetter. Our Dr. says it's just something that she will have to grow out of. She's a deep sleeper and her bladder needs to grow. Nothing we can do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM
No probably not stick with the goodnites I wish they had those when my sd had her issues but they came out a yr or so later good luck

Quoting smiller8008:

DD is only 40lbs, so I think that even small adult diapers would be way too big.  She'd probably still fit into baby diapers, but I don't think she'd be too happy with that idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well at that time they didn't make the goodnites and she was too big for pull-ups so it was the small adult diapers for elderly ppl

And I should have mentioned we did take sd to several drs that tested for diabetes and other issues to see if something else was causing the wetting and everything came back normal

Quoting smiller8008:

Hmm - that's a thought, but she's never been dry at night so I don't know if the placebo idea would work.  Guess it can't hurt.  And did you say diapers, do you mean baby diaper or pull-ups/goodnites?

Quoting Anonymous:

My sd was totally potty trained and picked bed wetting back up around age 8 drove me crazy, we did drink limitations, diapers etc nothing worked, even set alarms so she would get up and go and every night she would pee the bed, after going to therapy they suggested she was intentionally doing it and told us to pic up a baby aspirin and give it to her nightly before bed, but the trick was to tell her it's a special pill to make her stop wetting the bed...and it worked!!!!!! We continued with the aspirin for a few months until we were sure it was over, we never got to the bottom of why she was doing it until later on she said she was mad all the time

CGM2012
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I just meant put the plastic over the pull up.
Another thing i did was layer the bed. Plastic sheet, fitted sheet, plastic sheet, fitted sheet and so on. Doesn't really help with laundry, but makes it easier to change the bed in the middle of the night.

Quoting smiller8008:

We've tried underjams, goodnites, pull-ups, easy-ups, and a few store brands.  All leak to some extent.  She's fairly skinny, so pull-ups seem to work a little bit better, but not much - we use goodnites because she likes them more because they're for older kids.

Plastic pants could work - not sure I want to start doing cloth diapers, but it might be easier than laundry.

Quoting CGM2012:

Have you tried other brands? What about some sort of plastic underwear like that goes over clothe diapers?

Quoting smiller8008:

Yeah, the laundry is a pain.  I wish the goodnites didn't leak.

Quoting CGM2012:

My 6 year old does. However waking him up a couple times does seem tip help. We do still put the goodnights on him though. The laundry can be a major pain.

Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM
My friend did until she was 12. Her bladder was undersized.

My 6yr old ds frequently does, he has chronic constipation issues that we think cause it.
smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

She doesn't wake up even if the bed is soaked - so that's not actually a problem.  I'll keep it in mind, though - that's a good idea.

Quoting CGM2012:

I just meant put the plastic over the pull up.
Another thing i did was layer the bed. Plastic sheet, fitted sheet, plastic sheet, fitted sheet and so on. Doesn't really help with laundry, but makes it easier to change the bed in the middle of the night.

Quoting smiller8008:

We've tried underjams, goodnites, pull-ups, easy-ups, and a few store brands.  All leak to some extent.  She's fairly skinny, so pull-ups seem to work a little bit better, but not much - we use goodnites because she likes them more because they're for older kids.

Plastic pants could work - not sure I want to start doing cloth diapers, but it might be easier than laundry.

Quoting CGM2012:

Have you tried other brands? What about some sort of plastic underwear like that goes over clothe diapers?

Quoting smiller8008:

Yeah, the laundry is a pain.  I wish the goodnites didn't leak.

Quoting CGM2012:

My 6 year old does. However waking him up a couple times does seem tip help. We do still put the goodnights on him though. The laundry can be a major pain.

Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Never give aspirin to a child! It can cause Reye's Syndrome which can be fatal.
smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

BUMP!

Kaliary
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

My son is the same age, and same problem. She'll outgrow it eventuley. 

pregnancy week by week

baby

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Leaking goodnites too?

Quoting Kaliary:

My son is the same age, and same problem. She'll outgrow it eventuley. 

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

My daughter wet well into six and even seven and would also have the occasional daytime accident.  We tried everything ... except getting her checked by a urologist and it turns out she had medical issues that needed to be corrected with surgery.  Since the surgery three years ago we haven't had a single accident

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN