Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hi everyone,

I just joined cafe mom.  We have a lovely 6 year old only daughter who's very quick to remind everyone she's almost 7.  She just started first grade.

She still wets the bed every night.  The doctor says she's a little young to try an alarm or medication, and would rather wait a couple years before trying that.  We limit fluids (only a sip or two of water after dinner), and have tried waking her up without much success. 

She wears goodnites, but they only keep the bed dry about half the time, so it doesn't help that much with laundry.  Anyone else have a child that still wets, and/or any clever ideas to help it stop, or at least reduce the laundry?

Susan

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
Kaliary
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

well, I meant bedwetting. I put a plastic sheet on his bed, and we just wash sheets most days. :/ 

Quoting smiller8008:

Leaking goodnites too?

Quoting Kaliary:

My son is the same age, and same problem. She'll outgrow it eventuley. 

pregnancy week by week

baby

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Umm...google it please. THat is incorrect. 

An overdose, or a regime of high dose aspirin in children can cause reyes syndrome. 

Not one normal dose of aspirin. 

Quoting Blooming_Lotus:

Never give aspirin to a child! It can cause Reye's Syndrome which can be fatal.

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

She has the occassional daytime accident too, when she's busy or distracted - maybe every other month.  I think she's just forgetful at home sometimes, since it never happens at school.

Quoting mommaponch:

My daughter wet well into six and even seven and would also have the occasional daytime accident.  We tried everything ... except getting her checked by a urologist and it turns out she had medical issues that needed to be corrected with surgery.  Since the surgery three years ago we haven't had a single accident

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yeah - we're spending money on goodnites and still washing sheets most days - but they're better than nothing.  Would he wear goodnites/pull-ups/underjam?

Quoting Kaliary:

well, I meant bedwetting. I put a plastic sheet on his bed, and we just wash sheets most days. :/ 

Quoting smiller8008:

Leaking goodnites too?

Quoting Kaliary:

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Quoting Firewoman33:

My friend did until she was 12. Her bladder was undersized.

My 6yr old ds frequently does, he has chronic constipation issues that we think cause it.

My daughter had medical issues (I responded above) but she also had constipation which aggravated her bladder problems.  Her constipation was caused by the bladder problems, she was having emotional problems because of her "failure" to stop having accidents so she was holding it to the point of being sick

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

BUMP!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

It is extremely common and most doctors won't be concerned until they hit around 10 years old or it starts to effect their social life. 

My son is 8 years old and is finally dry 95% of the time. 

Quoting smiller8008:

Really?  We asked our doctor about that, but he said it was pretty common at 6/7, and didn't recommend seeing a psychologist unless she started wetting after being dry for a while (which isn't the case with us).

Quoting Anonymous:

If a doctor has checked her out and she is physically healthy its time to see a psychologist. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Kaliary
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

We tried them once, and it wasn't worth the fight and the melt down of him crying and screamnig that he's not a baby, and it's not fair, 'cause he can't control it, and.... So I figured we'll just keep washing, and not make him have issues because of it. 

Quoting smiller8008:

Yeah - we're spending money on goodnites and still washing sheets most days - but they're better than nothing.  Would he wear goodnites/pull-ups/underjam?

Quoting Kaliary:

Quoting smiller8008:

Leaking goodnites too?

Quoting Kaliary:

pregnancy week by week

baby

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Yeah, she's too young for sleepovers, so the social aspects aren't that big a deal yet.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

It is extremely common and most doctors won't be concerned until they hit around 10 years old or it starts to effect their social life. 

My son is 8 years old and is finally dry 95% of the time. 

Quoting smiller8008:

Really?  We asked our doctor about that, but he said it was pretty common at 6/7, and didn't recommend seeing a psychologist unless she started wetting after being dry for a while (which isn't the case with us).

Quoting Anonymous:

If a doctor has checked her out and she is physically healthy its time to see a psychologist. 

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Has she been checked out by a urologist?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN