Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hi everyone,

I just joined cafe mom.  We have a lovely 6 year old only daughter who's very quick to remind everyone she's almost 7.  She just started first grade.

She still wets the bed every night.  The doctor says she's a little young to try an alarm or medication, and would rather wait a couple years before trying that.  We limit fluids (only a sip or two of water after dinner), and have tried waking her up without much success. 

She wears goodnites, but they only keep the bed dry about half the time, so it doesn't help that much with laundry.  Anyone else have a child that still wets, and/or any clever ideas to help it stop, or at least reduce the laundry?

Susan

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Replies (381-387):
Terry5864
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM

what is the chiropractor doing for her?  very interested to know if anything can help my daughter.....

VWatson411
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
4 years ago, I had a 6 year old who wet the bed and I remember talking to his pediatrician about it. I saw the alarms and medication. And I did get a "he may be too young to be concerned" answer.

Now I have an 11 year old who wets the bed. I haven't put him on medications or alarms. He's more self-conscious about it now and doesn't want me making a big deal about it. I don't want him to feel ashamed and I'm still sure he'll grow out if it.

My dh's side of the family (he's the oldest of 6) all had bed wetting issues. My dh stopped at 8 or 9 but his youngest brother stopped at 20. An extreme in everyone's eyes, but he openly talks about it with us. I feel that it helps me and my SIL, who has a 10 year old bed wetter.

My solutions: like you, Goodnights only reduce the amount of leakage but my ds would leak through most nights anyways. So I bought washable plastic mattress covers. There are different kinds. Also if you want to limit the washing sheets all together, I have bought incontinence pads. They're designed for elderly people and the good ones are washable. The have a green textured underside and are very absorbent.

Also with water at night, I have a strict no fluids after dinner rule. He whines about being thirsty so I've been telling him he can have an ice cube. At first he thought I was being mean but he tried it and it helps his thirst and last longer than a quick sip of water.

I do have 2 other ds' ages 6 and 4 who don't have issues at night but I hope this helps!
dougiesmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I'm a deep sleeper, and both my boys got it from me. They are almost 7 and almost 5, with the youngest still in pull-ups. The older one just recently stopped wetting the bed every night, but it still happens occasionally. I wake him up and take him to the bathroom about 3 hours after he goes to bed, and that usually keeps him dry the rest of the night. To night train my step-daughter (and get her out of pull-ups--around age 6), she'd potty right before bed (8pm), I'd take her to the bathroom at 11pm, then DH would take her at 6am when he went to work. We eventually were able to cut one trip out at a time. All those trips weren't necessary with the oldest boy, and we're waiting to see if the youngest will do it himself (which isn't happening so far lol). If she's been thoroughly checked by a dr, the only thing I know to tell you is buy stock in the company that makes your detergent. ;) Or just make sure you have enough extra sheets that maybe you can let them pile up a couple of days before you wash, so it cuts down on the every day washing. Good luck to you!

Tazlover
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM
She is okay with it. She has even worn them to a sleep over without any problems. On nights she feels confident, she will not wear one but we put a hospital pad down just in case. We just take one day at a time and hope for the best.
knights98
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM

It can be embarassing, but it happens more often than not. I am sure that you found yourself waking up more often to go potty especial if the bathroom seemed alittle werid. :-)

Quoting mamav2215:

oh my god, i did this exact thing when I was 15! i dreamt I was going to the bathroom and i woke up to myself peeing in my bed. Thankfully I woke up quick enough that I didn't like full on pee the bed... but I had to wash the sheets. Talk about embarassing!

Quoting knights98:

I know of a few children that had a bed wetting problem for a long time. The problem that they found was the children would dream that they were going to the bathroom not knowing they were still in bed. They had to realize they were dreaming and try to wake up. It took a long time but the children seem to out grow it. I wish you the best of luck.

Deannastar
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

He did not object to diapers but obviously was not thrilled about it. He has started to wet himself during the day. Life just keeps getting more awesome. Lol

lmjulian
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I also have a 6yo DD that wets the bed.  We use the bed mats for her.  They help with the laundry but are kind of expensive.  She only wets the bed abt 2-3 nights a week, but it's enough that we go through a package of bed mats in a month.

http://www.diapers.com/p/goodnites-disposable-bed-mats-9ct-340631 ( I buy them at WalMart for $9.97 or something like that.)

Hope that helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN