Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Letter of apology... Too much?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
1 mom liked this
Dh comes home with DS (6) from school and tells me his teacher was really upset with my son's behavior. She literally spent the whole day trying to correct his behavior and constant disrespect. Easy to say his "behavior color" was dropped to red, the worst a child could get at school. Now I don't have any specific details as to what his punishment was at school (DH never asked) so i'll talk to her tomorrow about it.

Anyways, disrespect and talking back is not tolerated in this household and lately DS has been pushing the limits and I've been disciplining accordingly. He's never been in trouble before at school, he's always so respectful and well-behaved. This really struck me as odd and I was shocked to hear this.

Right now his punishment is yard work with dad (he's edging the grass and DS is throwing away the grass) and no TV with a time out and explanation as to why. Now both DH and I felt really bad for the teacher, from what DH described, she was really upset, so we decided that he should be held accountable at school and he personally wrote a letter of apology. Nothing crazy just a simple I'm sorry and ill do better.

Question is... Do you think it's appropriate and a good idea to have him write a letter of apology to her?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I think it would be nice if you dropped her a line saying sorry and that you have talked to ds and demanded better behavior from now on.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yep!  I appreciate getting apologies from my students. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it is a great idea. Too many parents have a "not my special snowflake" mentality
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I think it would be nice if you dropped her a line saying sorry and that you have talked to ds and demanded better behavior from now on.

I was going to write an email but I felt that me personally apologizing and letting her know I'm taking actions to improve his behavior would have been a lot better.
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I would! Gives him practice on his handwriting skills! 

key2ynot
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

yep.  My oldest once told a lie to the principal  and we made him walk into school with us the next day and apologize in person.  She wasn't too concerned with it (it was more like kid fibs/elaborate stories), but it was important to us that he learn a lesson about not telling the truth

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Yes! I make my daughter write proper essays explaining why her behavior is out of line and what she will do to improve it.
Lottie925
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Great idea! He is held accountable and the school is aware that you're on board with addressing the issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Quoting momtolittleg:

Yep!  I appreciate getting apologies from my students. 

I was hoping it would be a nice gesture and show that I understand what he's done, that he understands what he has done wrong and I'm working to prevent his from happening.
imultracool
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Yes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)