Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? help please!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 332 Replies
Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Wtf? That doesn't sound legal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I don't think it is but I'm not sure what to do??
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM
23 moms liked this

Have you brought your concerns to his doctor? Tried another med? Changed his diet?

Obviously he is causing some sort of disturbance to be sent home.

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM
7 moms liked this

No it is not legal. However they might try to turn you in for medical neglect.Does your son's doctor agree that he shouldn't be on the meds? If not talk to the doctor about the weight issues and you should be covered.

Bekki
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM
25 moms liked this

They can't force you to medicate him, but they are also not required to keep him if he is out of control.

MomOf3AngelBabe
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh hun. NO they dont have that right but expect that when you refuse, theyll call CPS on you for medical neglect. I know, I know. You dont even have to tell me how effed up that is. I already know. Can you move him to a school out of that district and not let them know anything about the meds?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM
6 moms liked this

talk to you son's doctor and then go to a lawyer and have a letter sent to the school.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM
4 moms liked this

You can put him back on his meds or you can be prepared to have him kicked out for his bad behaviors or he can be shipped off to an alternative school.  I am not saying this just to be a bitch.  I am saying this from experience with my own daughter.  When she was old enough, she moved to a technical school.  Even on meds, she was a handful.  By her Senior year, she was able to control herself enough to not take any meds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM
13 moms liked this

I know it sounds crazy but try giving him coffee or MtDew before school and maybe some in a thermos for lunch. Look up Coffee and MT Dew to treat add/adhd.

Mychele
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
This. It's very common for kids to lose their appetite on ADHD meds.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Have you brought your concerns to his doctor? Tried another med? Changed his diet?

Obviously he is causing some sort of disturbance to be sent home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)