Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I dont think that is legal but a similar thing happened to my friends brother  he went to a private school and they wanted him on adhd meds but his mom refused to put him on them because he didnt need them and they ended up finding a reason to expell him

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard of schools doing that and even reporting the parents to CPS. No one can legally force you to treat any non emergency medical conditions but they can send him home if his health and/or behavior is a risk for him or other students. You might need to look into homeschool or private school.
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

do you have a sst or 504 plan in place?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I have. We have switched medicines a few times and even had him on the lowest dose and he just never ate. He is not a bad kid and doesn't get in trouble a lot he is just hyper. But every parent with a child with adhd doesnt medicate. So its ok for them to just tell us not to bring him to school? I thought teachers job was to take care of kids while at school.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Have you brought your concerns to his doctor? Tried another med? Changed his diet?

Obviously he is causing some sort of disturbance to be sent home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I have. We have switched medicines a few times and even had him on the lowest dose and he just never ate. He is not a bad kid and doesn't get in trouble a lot he is just hyper. But every parent with a child with adhd doesnt medicate. So its ok for them to just tell us not to bring him to school? I thought teachers job was to take care of kids while at school.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Have you brought your concerns to his doctor? Tried another med? Changed his diet?

Obviously he is causing some sort of disturbance to be sent home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this
If he was being that disruptive that they had to bring him home then there is a problem. He needs to do something. Talk to his Dr and weigh out your options. He can't be disruptive at school it isn't fair to all the other students
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Have you talked to his doc about different meds?  Does he have an iep?  

shiningjoy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I stopped giving my daughter her ADHD meds at the end of this past school year. I told her doctor and she agreed to let her start this year and see how she does, and if need be we will start her back on them.  So far so good though, but it has only been a week.  Have you asked the school what exactly it is he is doing to be sent home? I would ask for written letters from the school and then take them to your doctor.  How is he acting at home?

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomOf3AngelBabe:

Oh hun. NO they dont have that right but expect that when you refuse, theyll call CPS on you for medical neglect. I know, I know. You dont even have to tell me how effed up that is. I already know. Can you move him to a school out of that district and not let them know anything about the meds?

Those records follow him from school to school. Running away isn't the answer. Finding a way to help him would be best.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

KHardik
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Send him to school. It is the school's job to give him an education. They are not his doctors. It is illegal for kids not to go to school. I can't believe they would tell you that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)