Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
queencreekmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this

No! I have 2 kids in my class this year that are off meds. Both sets of parents were concerned at conferences last week and I told them we are doing fine! Yes, there is energy, but that's ok! They aren't disruptive or bad and I would rather give them small accommodations than see them medicated. I do understand some kids really need it! I have one who can't focus without, but I would rather a child be unmedicated any day! I love to see their real little personalities! 

SaturnsMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

No absolutely not.  A child dxed with ADHD has rights under the Ada and one of those rights is an education equal to every other student in the the district.  They have to make accommodations for him.

kris0921
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM
They can get in serious trouble for this!
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM
7 moms liked this

Can the School Force You to Put Your Child on Medicine for ADHD?

by Anne Goetz, Demand Media

If your child's school is pressuring you to medicate your child for ADHD, take a deep breath and educate yourself on what comes next. Often, parents feel as though their child has only two options -- take drugs or leave school -- but this could not be farther from the truth.

Whose Choice is It?

Ultimately, it is your choice whether to start your child on medication. It is a decision that you make in conjunction with your child's pediatrician or therapist than with your child’s teacher or school superintendent. Child experts at PBS.org suggest that parents ask themselves a series of questions to help in the decision-making process. Ask yourself what behaviors you are hoping to alter, and if the medications might interfere with your child's learning. Also, ask what the benefits and risks are of medicating.

Special Accommodations

According to the National Dissemination Center for Children with Learning Disabilities, children diagnosed with ADHD can apply to the school district for free accommodations, such as an Individualized Education Plan, or IEP. Although ADHD is not classified under learning disorders, it is covered under the Other Health Impairment category of the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act, or IDEA. To request an assessment, a parent usually notifies the school counselor or psychologist. Once it is determined that an assessment is in order, a team of professionals evaluates the child -- this might include a psychologist, special educator, speech therapist or others -- to determine eligibility. To qualify for an IEP, a child's disorder must affect how he functions at school. A child following an IEP might spend several hours a day in an alternative classroom setting under the instruction of a highly qualified teacher.

Suspension and Expulsion

The school district can suspend any student, whether he has a disability or not, for up to 10 days for infractions of school policy, according to the Parent Information Center on Special Education. In extreme cases, such as those involving weapons or bodily harm, the school can enforce harsher penalties. It is important to note that if the school determines that it was the disorder that caused a child's behavior, then the district must return the child to school immediately and expunge the suspension from his record.

Refusing Drug Therapy

Since the formation of IDEA, school districts have been unable to exclude children based on whether or not the child is on drug therapy. If medicating your child feels wrong, you might seek the help of a professional in behavioral therapy. According to the experts at KidsHealth.org, sometimes, a solution as simple as reorganizing a child's home and school environment can prove beneficial in improving the symptoms of ADHD. Enforcing clear boundaries and a system of rewards and consequences can also be helpful.

Who Can Help Decide?

The most important factor to keep in mind is that whether you decide for or against medicating your child for ADHD, you should never make the choice alone. Always seek the informed opinions of pediatricians, therapists, counselors, or whoever your child sees for his disorder. Talk with his teachers, guidance counselor and school principal, if you haven't done so already. Most importantly, talk with your child. He is the most reliable source to tell you what is going on inside his mind and body.

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/can-school-force-put-child-medicine-adhd-11736.html

kelly617
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Actually yes it is legal....if he's out of control while he's off his meds the school has every right to send him home

You need to talk to his doctor about the weight issues and see if he can be switched to a different medication.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Tell the Principal you need that in writing to help you get him into another clinic faster...Then you have his ass over a barrel. That is illegal for him to tell you that BS

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM
5 moms liked this
It is but if they are bringing him home then clearly he is being disruptive. Teachers have to focus on all the kids it isn't fair if one kid received all the attention because he isn't behaved. They may decide to put him into a behavior class. Not all kids need meds but if he can't control himself without them then you need to figure something out. While they aren't suppose to bring him home they can keep him out of classso he isn't taking away from the other kids learning experience

Quoting Anonymous:

I have. We have switched medicines a few times and even had him on the lowest dose and he just never ate. He is not a bad kid and doesn't get in trouble a lot he is just hyper. But every parent with a child with adhd doesnt medicate. So its ok for them to just tell us not to bring him to school? I thought teachers job was to take care of kids while at school.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Have you brought your concerns to his doctor? Tried another med? Changed his diet?

Obviously he is causing some sort of disturbance to be sent home.

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM
This. Its so very true.

Quoting MomOf3AngelBabe:

Oh hun. NO they dont have that right but expect that when you refuse, theyll call CPS on you for medical neglect. I know, I know. You dont even have to tell me how effed up that is. I already know. Can you move him to a school out of that district and not let them know anything about the meds?

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Why don't you try home educating him?

tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I don't think they can, that doesn't sound right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)