Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know it seems so ridiculous to me. He is not a bad kid. He is a little hyper but that's it. I just think his teachers are to damn lazy to deal with him. I have talked to his Dr and he didn't have any problem with me taking him off of it. We were both concerned about his weight . He weighed 39lbs last year at 10!!! Not he is up to 55!! I just think its screwed up
shiningjoy
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM

This, I give my daughter coffee...It helps.  That was the first advice I got from my old HS principle (he is one of my dad's best friends and we are all close).  He would give it to some of the HS kids that had ADHD problems when we were in school....must be why he was always giving me coffee :)  It does help though.  Also watch his diet.  Some foods can really make it worse.  I know my daughter didn't eat much when she was on her meds.  It took a good 6 months for her to eat half way normal again.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know it sounds crazy but try giving him coffee or MtDew before school and maybe some in a thermos for lunch. Look up Coffee and MT Dew to treat add/adhd.

bela516
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I'm not a lwayer, but I do believe that is illegal for a school administrator to tell you anything about giving your kid meds.  Years back, CPS was called because I refused to keep my son on Ritalin for Asperger's (which was misdiagnosed - he doesn't have it) and there is a law on the books that states that they cannot open an investigation on a parent for refusing to give Ritalin. 

As for the child's behavior, they can kick him out if he is disruptive. 

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM
What are their actual reasons for sending home? They can't just say because he didn't take his meds today.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this

The teachers job is to educate and she can't do that if she is having to constantly correct your child.

I didn't send my son to kindergarten or 1st grade because he couldn't sit still for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. Last year he went to 2nd grade and did great. I didn't want him to feel bad because he was getting in trouble and I didn't want the teachers to have to deal with him.

You need to find a way to get him settle down. Have you tried cutting out all processed foods and food dyes, maybe even try gluten free.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have. We have switched medicines a few times and even had him on the lowest dose and he just never ate. He is not a bad kid and doesn't get in trouble a lot he is just hyper. But every parent with a child with adhd doesnt medicate. So its ok for them to just tell us not to bring him to school? I thought teachers job was to take care of kids while at school.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Have you brought your concerns to his doctor? Tried another med? Changed his diet?

Obviously he is causing some sort of disturbance to be sent home.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM
It sounds to me though of they are taking him home he doesn't just have extra energy he is being overly disruptive. She hasn't said what her child has done that they thought it was bad enough to bring him home. I think that matters

Quoting queencreekmom:

No! I have 2 kids in my class this year that are off meds. Both sets of parents were concerned at conferences last week and I told them we are doing fine! Yes, there is energy, but that's ok! They aren't disruptive or bad and I would rather give them small accommodations than see them medicated. I do understand some kids really need it! I have one who can't focus without, but I would rather a child be unmedicated any day! I love to see their real little personalities! 

grey7399
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

1.  You don't sound educated.

2.  Why is your child, the schools problem?

3.  Why should my kid suffer because yours does?

4.  Talk to his doctor.  Geezus.  Is it that hard?  Ask some damn questions.  Can you do things to stimulate his appetite?  If he was a good student and doing well in school - how is that zombied out?  If he wasn't, why did you keep him on the drugs?

MomOf3AngelBabe
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Im not saying running away is. BUT, if his doctor wont agree that there are other things that can be used (which isnt likely because we are part of a huge drug culture now where we medicate for EVERYTHING), she risks having CPS called on her for medical neglect. CPS involvement in an innocent family is always a train wreck. Kids are hyper, always have been, always will be. The problem is that kids spend SO much time indoors today that parents (or in this case school) think theyre seeing ADHD symptoms when theres really nothing there. I agree that there are children who do need a LITTLE help but the meds they prescribe for these things these days are so much worse than the symptoms that presented to begin with.

I went through this with my son. They (the in-school 'counselor') wanted him on Risperdal, Concerta and Trazadone. When I refused, Iwas hauled into court. Im NOT drugging my child unnecessarily to make some school staff happy. The GAL in our case ended up telling me I should COMMIT my son at 7 years old because of ODD, ADHD and mild OCD. They nearly drugged him to death. She needs to fight and if leaving that district is the only way to get it done, then so be it.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting MomOf3AngelBabe:

Oh hun. NO they dont have that right but expect that when you refuse, theyll call CPS on you for medical neglect. I know, I know. You dont even have to tell me how effed up that is. I already know. Can you move him to a school out of that district and not let them know anything about the meds?

Those records follow him from school to school. Running away isn't the answer. Finding a way to help him would be best.

sunrisekn
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM

It's not legal but they are also not a babysitting service. He is there to learn and if he is having a difficult time then you need to adjust; take him to a doc, change meds, supplement with protein drinks maybe. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM

What medication did you have him on My son is on Adderall and Risperdol and the Risperdol makes him eat more than a grown man each day BUT he is skinny also

Quoting Anonymous:

I have. We have switched medicines a few times and even had him on the lowest dose and he just never ate. He is not a bad kid and doesn't get in trouble a lot he is just hyper. But every parent with a child with adhd doesnt medicate. So its ok for them to just tell us not to bring him to school? I thought teachers job was to take care of kids while at school.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Have you brought your concerns to his doctor? Tried another med? Changed his diet?

Obviously he is causing some sort of disturbance to be sent home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN