Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Replies (321-330):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I'm Anon. On this topic because I am a social worker. Sounds like you may have some serious problems with someone else asking for advice and you are getting your panties in a twist. There are numerous people giving the same advice on here are you going to go ape shit crazy on everyone? I don't know what your problem is but you may want to visit a professional so you can be evaluated and possibly be medicated. How anyone can get that angry over someone elses comment I really don't understand but I guess we aren't suppose to understand the rantings of a disturbed person. I hope for your childrens sake that you get some mental help.
WitchinMomma
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM
It depends on the state, but I would think that if you can get him some coping mechanisms to deal with his ADHD and get the problem solved non-medicinally, you can have that base covered, but I don't think the school can force him to take them without your permission.
shellyplatz
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I HATE that schools want the kids drugged up so it's easier for them to deal with. If the child does not cause a major disruption and is not hurting anyone else then they should stay out of the kids medical decisions.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Does your son have an IEP?  This would prevent your son from being sent home for his behaviour - unless it was serious enough.  My son is in the 6th grade now and is 11.  He has an IEP.  He is in a couple of "spec ed" classes and he has one teacher who has a "time out/sensory" room, where he can go to calm down.  The school CAN NOT legally force you to medicate your son, BUT you need to call the school psychologist (if your son DOESNT have an IEP) and get this started RIGHT AWAY!  If the school doesnt have the resources (money to pay for psychologist or paras) than they may not be able to help your son and they may have to send your son to another school that does have the resources - yes they can do this legally - as long as the school district provides the transportation, etc.  BUT until you talk with the school - you will continued to be called to come pick up your son if his behaviour is out of control that he is endangering himself or others.  Yes MOST adhd meds stunt growth, but I chose the "lesser evil" versus being called every day (which you could lose your job if you work) and meds helped my son concentrate and focus on school work, etc.  IF one med didnt work than try another - there are A LOT of adhd meds out there.  Not sayin you have to medicate BUT if you dont than you and the school REALLY need to work hard and get an IEP going, if he doesnt already have one.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Not sure. They tried telling my parents the same thing - medicate or keep her home - but I was never medicated and kept going to school, so...apparently my parents won that battle.

chula31313
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Its not legal, and I don't think they can turn you in to CPS for "medical neglect" either.  ADHD medications are a therapy choice and not required to keep a child healthy, so he is not being neglected by not taking them.  You should let them know that you will not be putting your child on these meds anymore.  You may have to request an IEP for him if he does not already have one and he may be put into a special needs class.  My son was on concerta for several years and had the same weight issues.  we found out that he wasn't eating at school, so we had to make sure that the teachers knew that he HAD to eat his lunch and his doc had us give him carnation instant breakfast drink for extra calories in addtion to a big breakfast before his meds kicked in.  There are other medication where that is less of a side effect, and there are also behavior modification therapies you can try too.  good luck mama.

SaturnsMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Highly illegal!  No school can force you to medicate your child.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM
His weight has improved but has his symptoms?

Have you put him on a diet designed for ADHD kids? Adjusting their diet can make their symptoms nearly disappear. Look into the book "cure your child with food". There is some great info there! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I don't think so. Find an attorney and insist on an IEP stat.

Quoting Anonymous: Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM

The school has no right to tell you to medicate your child. They are NOT health professionals. I would get a note from his Dr stating that it isnt medically necessary for him to be on it. If the school refuses to allow your child to class then it becomes a legal issue. Best of luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)