Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Replies (331-332):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM

They can contact their lawyer, cps or they can expel him for his behavior.  This is their way of giving you a chance before they go through those channels.  Honestly, if you don't want to medicate, maybe you should homeschool.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:47 AM

home school him.

If he is causing disruptions at school when he is unmedicated, then it is the responsibility of the school to ensure the health and safety of the other students and protect their ability to learn in school.  

If he is able to function at home unmedicated , then it is your responsibility as a parent to see to his needs, take the responsibility for his education on yourself and  home school him.

You cannot have it both ways, unfortunately.  If he needs to be medicated to function at school, then medicate him, of not, then home school him.  I would take this issue up with his pediatrician

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)