Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok so my ds is 11 and is in the 5th grade. He has adhd. He was on medicine last year but he would never eat and got super skinny. His lowest weight on the medicine was like 39lbs. All summer I didn't make him take it and he had gained so much weight and is actually looking healthy. This school yeari decided not to give him his medicine for health reasons and the school has brought him home twice already and his principal told me if he didn't have it to just not bring him to school. Well if I do thathe will have al kinds of absences and I cant do that. So is the school right to tell me that? Is that even legal? They don't want to have to deal with him, they just want him all zombied out and I don't agree. So what can I do??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
That is exactly what his principal told me each time she has brought him home. He said he didn't take his medicine today. I mean last Thursday she brought him honest 8:00am, we took him at 7:45!!!!

Quoting firespurity:

What are their actual reasons for sending home? They can't just say because he didn't take his meds today.

MomOf3AngelBabe
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I wont touch the first few of your comments but as for appetite...no. Theres nothing she can do. By the very nature of some of these drugs, kids lose their appetites nearly entirely, they become lethargic and 'needy'.

I had one doc tell me that the combo of drugs my son needed to be on caused, and I quote, "His brain to basically shut down, giving him a sort of tunnel vision so he can focus on one thing at a time instead of being stimulated by all the info in his surroundings." This man was a psychiatrist. Scary thought, right?

Quoting grey7399:

1.  You don't sound educated.

2.  Why is your child, the schools problem?

3.  Why should my kid suffer because yours does?

4.  Talk to his doctor.  Geezus.  Is it that hard?  Ask some damn questions.  Can you do things to stimulate his appetite?  If he was a good student and doing well in school - how is that zombied out?  If he wasn't, why did you keep him on the drugs?

QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Maybe you should be researching how to help him more. If he is being that disrupted where the school is saying he shouldn't be coming maybe you should consider a different school or homeschooling. There are other kids the school has to think about. Not just yours.

Whether its legal or not? They can't make you medicate him but they do have a right to make sure the kids learn in a good environment and that the school stays safe.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM

The principal actually drove  your child from the school to  your home??????????????????

Quoting Anonymous:

That is exactly what his principal told me each time she has brought him home. He said he didn't take his medicine today. I mean last Thursday she brought him honest 8:00am, we took him at 7:45!!!!

Quoting firespurity:

What are their actual reasons for sending home? They can't just say because he didn't take his meds today.

bela516
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM
The school may call CPS because they don't know it is against the law to even mention medication to a parent if they have no medical degree. It's actually against the law (At least in NY) for CPS to open a case against a parent for simply refusing to keep a child on medication. I had to threaten a law-suit but when I cited the law, they back-pedaled so fast!! They didn't even know the law (this was 8 years ago now) and I told them I was going to call my lawyer and sue them if they didn't close and expunge the record.
Quoting MomOf3AngelBabe:

Oh hun. NO they dont have that right but expect that when you refuse, theyll call CPS on you for medical neglect. I know, I know. You dont even have to tell me how effed up that is. I already know. Can you move him to a school out of that district and not let them know anything about the meds?

FireMoonGypsy
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM

That's not legal. 

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Thanks for that. You have been so helpful. I haave talked to his Dr and he agrees with me. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do so my son can get an education. His principal said he told the teacher he didn't take his medicine so that's why he was brought home.not that he did anything bad .so thanks for your awesome advice

Quoting grey7399:

1.  You don't sound educated.

2.  Why is your child, the schools problem?

3.  Why should my kid suffer because yours does?

4.  Talk to his doctor.  Geezus.  Is it that hard?  Ask some damn questions.  Can you do things to stimulate his appetite?  If he was a good student and doing well in school - how is that zombied out?  If he wasn't, why did you keep him on the drugs?

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to a lawyer and find a new doctor

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, we live in a very small town and I have known her and her husband for years! Ds has even been to their farm a few times just because they wanted him to visit

Quoting Sassy762:

The principal actually drove  your child from the school to  your home??????????????????

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting firespurity:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM
4 moms liked this

I used to work in a doctor's office.  We had soooo many parents coming in saying the school was insisting their kids be put on meds but they didn't want their children medicated.  Our doctor always told them it was parent's choice, not the schools.  If the schools were really being big butts about it he would write a letter stating that he didn't medicate at the schools request, that it was between him and the parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)