Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bulletproof Binders?!! Will you buy your kids one of these?

I wouldn't be against it actually.

Our school district is looking into equipping classes with kevlar blankets, shields, whiteboards and offering backpacks for parents to buy.

Sad, but an interesting idea.

The backpacks retail at around 300$  

Would you buy your kids one?  What do you think of schools buying these safety supplies?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

No. I'm not buying into the paranoia and hysteria. There are and always will be random fucked up crazy people. People can't accept this so they desperate try to control and protect against the basically unpreventable. A bulletproof backpack (that is most likely going to be in your locker ) isn't going to do shit.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Yes but that is the limit for me, that is frightening enough. Giving them a backpack that is bulletproof takes it from the back of their minds to the front and makes it a definite possibility instead of a distant what if.

Quoting tardistraveller:

The kids already do lock down drills now, but I agree.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. School shootings are RARE and I refuse to put that kind of stress and fear in my children. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Agree.  I can understand the other supplies (althugh I am concerned about the price of them).  I also wonder about the weight of the kevlar.  Kids should be carrying more than 13% of their own weight on their bags.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. I'm not buying into the paranoia and hysteria. There are and always will be random fucked up crazy people. People can't accept this so they desperate try to control and protect against the basically unpreventable. A bulletproof backpack (that is most likely going to be in your locker ) isn't going to do shit.

4Poodle
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg, I'm so relieved,I thought these were going to be items that would just hype up paranoia in schools and improperly teach kids to sit in waiting for shooters.
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

very good point.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Yes but that is the limit for me, that is frightening enough. Giving them a backpack that is bulletproof takes it from the back of their minds to the front and makes it a definite possibility instead of a distant what if.

Quoting tardistraveller:

The kids already do lock down drills now, but I agree.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. School shootings are RARE and I refuse to put that kind of stress and fear in my children. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Nope. My kids attend a safe quiet suburban school. No need.

If we lived in the ghetto I definitely would but then again if we lived in the ghetto I most likely couldn't afford any of that stuff.
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow, sandy hook was a ghetto? Cool, didn't know.

Quoting Anonymous:

If we lived in the ghetto I definitely would but then again if we lived in the ghetto I most likely couldn't afford any of that stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Wow, is all I can say. Is there a news article talking about the need for these?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Sandy hook took place in a quiet, peaceful upper middle class town. It was far from ghetto.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN