Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bulletproof Binders?!! Will you buy your kids one of these?

I wouldn't be against it actually.

Our school district is looking into equipping classes with kevlar blankets, shields, whiteboards and offering backpacks for parents to buy.

Sad, but an interesting idea.

The backpacks retail at around 300$  

Would you buy your kids one?  What do you think of schools buying these safety supplies?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Replies (111-114):
daughteroftruth
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

15 % sounds about right, although unrealistic with most kids homework load.  I'm not great at guessing weight, but my brothers Kevlar gloves make my hands feel like they are covered in led.. so I can only imagine how much more it would be in a back pack.

Quoting tardistraveller:

They are more common, but still not a regular occurance.  

I was reading how a child's backpack shouldnt be more than 15% of their own body weight.  Include lunch, water bottle, books and then add kevlar to it and I think the risk of back injury actually is more of a concern.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

isn't Kevlar incredibly heavy?  my 9 yr old comes home with his backpack weighing almost as much as him, not sure he could manage the extra weight.  And my dd only weighs like 40 lbs, she would fall backwards. 

The fearfull side of me says yes, and then while we are at it.. why not bullet proof everything?

The more logical side of me sees that while school shootings are rare, even if they are more common today then they were 50 yrs ago.  This would be an expensive investment that would make someone rich and add undo stress for families. 

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Yep

Quoting brandyluzdavid:

It's by the WalMart I mentioned isn't it

Quoting brandyluzdavid:

What is David Road near? I think I have an idea but I'm not sure, isn't it off hwy 138 or hwy 42

Quoting kitty8199:

Like Davis Rd? I'm near there

Quoting brandyluzdavid:

I used to live in Henry by the WalMart on hwy 42!!! I'll be near Henry tomorrow....

Quoting kitty8199:

Henry

Quoting brandyluzdavid:

What do you live in that area? I moved all the way up to N. FULTON IN ROSWELL

Quoting kitty8199:

I've got to move, lol.

Quoting brandyluzdavid:

I know!! My brother went missing and we couldn't find him, so my mom and dad called 911, well all 3 counties showed up and started a "turf" war screaming at each other. Thank god my brother showed up when it started... He was swimming in Buck Creek and no one looked in there....

Quoting kitty8199:

That area is crazy with county and district lines. Half of Heron bay is Henry county half is Spalding. I used to work for Spalding EMS (911). We'd be in response to a call and dispatch would cancel us bc out wasn't in our county. Are you kidding me? They're coming from McDonough. We're almost here.

Quoting brandyluzdavid:

I know right!! I lived in the Lamar County,Griffin and Butts county area for 10 years and guns in the school was a normal thing..

Eta: in that area you can have a Jackson Georgia address, a griffin phone number and go to Lamar County schools. The school was 22 miles away from my house! We got picked up by the bus at 6:30/6:45am and never got to the school earlier than 7:30/7:45.....

Quoting kitty8199:

Yeah. Then they said a PRE schooler brought one to school in Griffin (which isn't really a shock there)

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Georgia? 

Quoting kitty8199:

I kinda feel the same. Although they're getting more common. Had one two weeks ago here . Shots fired no one hit.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. School shootings are RARE and I refuse to put that kind of stress and fear in my children. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM
We were never allowed. I graduated in 99. They even took away real flatware. We used plastic forks. No knives. Nothing ever happened. They were just paranoid.

But they did put down the gates during lunch locking everyone in the lunchroom. That had to be a fire code violation.

Quoting Anonymous:

When I want to high school (early 2000's) most of the boys had pocket knives. Our town was pretty redneck.

Then one boy jacked a tator tot off another kids plate and he stabbed him with a fork. The other kid followed him to class and stabbed him with a pocket knife! We were on lock down and had never had a drill plus like every kid there had a knife anyway.

Anyway that kid was fine. Just minor injuries and they can't take pocket knives anymore lol

Quoting kitty8199:

They'd allow that in a school?! Knife would be expulsion here.

Quoting MixtlisMomme:

Oh that sucks! I need to buy me one its legal here there is one that comes with a flash light , knife, and spray all in one.

Quoting kitty8199:

Kids aren't allowed that here. Girl got suspended for it when I was in HS.

Quoting MixtlisMomme:

Yes and a pepper spray

Quoting tardistraveller:

I wouldn't be against it actually.

Our school district is looking into equipping classes with kevlar blankets, shields, whiteboards and offering backpacks for parents to buy.

Sad, but an interesting idea.

The backpacks retail at around 300$  

Would you buy your kids one?  What do you think of schools buying these safety supplies?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amanda.lyn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
How sad that this is needed...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN