Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bulletproof Binders?!! Will you buy your kids one of these?

I wouldn't be against it actually.

Our school district is looking into equipping classes with kevlar blankets, shields, whiteboards and offering backpacks for parents to buy.

Sad, but an interesting idea.

The backpacks retail at around 300$  

Would you buy your kids one?  What do you think of schools buying these safety supplies?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I couldn't find one, it was on the news.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow, is all I can say. Is there a news article talking about the need for these?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM
And you do realize how rare that is, right?

When my brother first started teaching he taught in the inner city (ghetto). He saw 5 student get shit his first 2 years.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. My kids attend a safe quiet suburban school. No need.

If we lived in the ghetto I definitely would but then again if we lived in the ghetto I most likely couldn't afford any of that stuff.

Sandy hook took place in a quiet, peaceful upper middle class town. It was far from ghetto.
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

They are rare but becoming less so.

Quoting Anonymous:

When my brother first started teaching he taught in the inner city (ghetto). He saw 5 student get shit his first 2 years.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

If we lived in the ghetto I definitely would but then again if we lived in the ghetto I most likely couldn't afford any of that stuff.

Sandy hook took place in a quiet, peaceful upper middle class town. It was far from ghetto.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Quoting tardistraveller:

Oh wow, sandy hook was a ghetto? Cool, didn't know.

Quoting Anonymous:

AGrooms
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

It's sad, and I might not tell DD why it cost so much, but I'd def buy it (if I had the money) and teach her to sheild herself with it whenever there is danger... you don't have to scare the hell out of them, just teach them the basics...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I'd like to see real statistics on that.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

WOW......IF we lived in a bad area or if my kids attended school in a bad or semi bad area I may consider it but not now

MommmaBeee
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Although i would not be apposed i agree!

Quoting Anonymous:

No, its all ridiculous. Maybe this money would be better put to use fixing our mental health system?

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I kinda feel the same. Although they're getting more common. Had one two weeks ago here . Shots fired no one hit.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. School shootings are RARE and I refuse to put that kind of stress and fear in my children. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010s

here's a list, notice the increasing size.

WHen I was a kid these things were unheard of, really before columbine these things were basically unheard of.

I do agree that it is fear mongering and the backpacks aren't something I would get.  But to say it only happens in ghettos and it isn't something that is becoming more frequent is false.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd like to see real statistics on that.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)