Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bulletproof Binders?!! Will you buy your kids one of these?

I wouldn't be against it actually.

Our school district is looking into equipping classes with kevlar blankets, shields, whiteboards and offering backpacks for parents to buy.

Sad, but an interesting idea.

The backpacks retail at around 300$  

Would you buy your kids one?  What do you think of schools buying these safety supplies?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
We almost did last year.

I shopped vests for my kids as well but they are too tiny.

I mourn Newtown daily. I drop my kids and no matter how crazy the morning I leave them on a very positive note.

I fuckinh hate leaving them at school.
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I wasn't being rude.  I didn't understand your point adn asked what it is.

Quoting MommmaBeee:

It was stated that Sandy Hook was located in a decent neighborhood while i dont think location has anything to do with it there are crazies everywhere i was just simply stating the facts.. Really no reason to be rude!

Quoting tardistraveller:

What's your point?

Quoting MommmaBeee:

Sandy Cook was not a random shooting though. The guy who shot the school up had Aspurgers and his mother worked there! His mother should not have had machine guns were her autistic kid could get them regardless of his age! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd like to see real statistics on that.

Quoting tardistraveller:

They are rare but becoming less so.

Quoting Anonymous:

And you do realize how rare that is, right?

When my brother first started teaching he taught in the inner city (ghetto). He saw 5 student get shit his first 2 years.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. My kids attend a safe quiet suburban school. No need.

If we lived in the ghetto I definitely would but then again if we lived in the ghetto I most likely couldn't afford any of that stuff.

Sandy hook took place in a quiet, peaceful upper middle class town. It was far from ghetto.

alf2651
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM

It's insane that our schools are coming to this.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/18/nation/la-na-nn-mass-shootings-common-20121218

They were not unheard of. Far from it.

Quoting tardistraveller:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010s

here's a list, notice the increasing size.

WHen I was a kid these things were unheard of, really before columbine these things were basically unheard of.

I do agree that it is fear mongering and the backpacks aren't something I would get.  But to say it only happens in ghettos and it isn't something that is becoming more frequent is false.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting Anonymous:

When my brother first started teaching he taught in the inner city (ghetto). He saw 5 student get shit his first 2 years.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

If we lived in the ghetto I definitely would but then again if we lived in the ghetto I most likely couldn't afford any of that stuff.

Sandy hook took place in a quiet, peaceful upper middle class town. It was far from ghetto.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Yeah. Then they said a PRE schooler brought one to school in Griffin (which isn't really a shock there)

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Georgia? 

Quoting kitty8199:

I kinda feel the same. Although they're getting more common. Had one two weeks ago here . Shots fired no one hit.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. School shootings are RARE and I refuse to put that kind of stress and fear in my children. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:09 AM
That's about mass shootings, not school shootings.
Mass shootings happen a lot. School shootings used to not.

Quoting Anonymous:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/18/nation/la-na-nn-mass-shootings-common-20121218

They were not unheard of. Far from it.

Quoting tardistraveller:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010s

here's a list, notice the increasing size.

WHen I was a kid these things were unheard of, really before columbine these things were basically unheard of.

I do agree that it is fear mongering and the backpacks aren't something I would get.  But to say it only happens in ghettos and it isn't something that is becoming more frequent is false.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM
No I wouldn't how about metal detectors and a few armed guards that do random walk throughs
brandyluzdavid
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM
I know right!! I lived in the Lamar County,Griffin and Butts county area for 10 years and guns in the school was a normal thing..

Eta: in that area you can have a Jackson Georgia address, a griffin phone number and go to Lamar County schools. The school was 22 miles away from my house! We got picked up by the bus at 6:30/6:45am and never got to the school earlier than 7:30/7:45.....

Quoting kitty8199:

Yeah. Then they said a PRE schooler brought one to school in Griffin (which isn't really a shock there)

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Georgia? 

Quoting kitty8199:

I kinda feel the same. Although they're getting more common. Had one two weeks ago here . Shots fired no one hit.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No. School shootings are RARE and I refuse to put that kind of stress and fear in my children. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixtlisMomme
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Yes and a pepper spray

Quoting tardistraveller:

I wouldn't be against it actually.

Our school district is looking into equipping classes with kevlar blankets, shields, whiteboards and offering backpacks for parents to buy.

Sad, but an interesting idea.

The backpacks retail at around 300$  

Would you buy your kids one?  What do you think of schools buying these safety supplies?

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM
That area is crazy with county and district lines. Half of Heron bay is Henry county half is Spalding. I used to work for Spalding EMS (911). We'd be in response to a call and dispatch would cancel us bc out wasn't in our county. Are you kidding me? They're coming from McDonough. We're almost here.

Quoting brandyluzdavid:

I know right!! I lived in the Lamar County,Griffin and Butts county area for 10 years and guns in the school was a normal thing..

Eta: in that area you can have a Jackson Georgia address, a griffin phone number and go to Lamar County schools. The school was 22 miles away from my house! We got picked up by the bus at 6:30/6:45am and never got to the school earlier than 7:30/7:45.....

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Georgia? 

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)