Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you handle it when your child complains about their teacher?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 73 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you handle it when your child complains about their teacher?

Options:

I contact the teacher and get involved

I back off and let them work it out

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 72

View Results

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km1970
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM

It depends on what the complaint is about. If it's just grumbling about a homework assignment or a class rule, I back off and let them work it out.

If it starts affecting their education or I need clarification, I contact the teacher.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Contact the teacher and see what's going on.  There are always 2 sides to a story.

Depends on the complaint though.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM
4 moms liked this

I use it as a learning tool.  My child will come in contact with all sorts of people throughout his/her life that he/she doesn't care for and learning how to deal with it is part of growing up.  There will be peers, teachers, coaches, and eventually bosses that have different personalities and expectations.  I would be doing my child a huge disservice if I stepped in every time personalities clashed.

bcoll
by Brandi on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

That would be dependent on the situation I guess. I haven't yet had to become involved. I have 2 freshmen, a middle school-er, and 2 4th graders this year.

Caera
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell my child, "Well, you're going to meet a lot of people in your life, and you're not going to like all of them. And that's ok. You don't have to like everyone you meet. But, you have to learn to work with all kinds of people, too. So unless, your teacher is doing something really bad, just "not liking" her is something you're going to have to learn to deal with."

mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I've never had a child complain about a teacher that was at an age where I felt the need to be overly concerned and pursue talking to someone about it. 

I have on the other hand had a middle school child complain about a teacher and I didn't bat an eye. I actually reminded them that the teacher was the adult and to watch the attitude and be respectful. 

mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM
it depends on how long she's been in the teachers classroom, what the situation is, and how upset it's making my child. I only have one at home now and I have 2 older ones that are out of school and out of the house. throughout the years I have had to listen to numerous complaints about teachers ranging from my teacher doesn't like me, my teachers mean to me, my teacher yelled at me for not turning in a paper, but the one that stood out the most was with my youngest child. she came home and told me that a boy smacked her around the but while she was swinging on the the swings at recess. she has been telling me all school year that she felt her teacher didn't like her, and she didn't feel safe at school. she ran to tell the teacher about the boy smacking her b*** and the teacher told her I didn't see it it didn't happen and that "Johnny" wouldn't do such a thing. that is when I went in and spoke to her teacher. this was in 2nd grade, & I really don't think my daughter would make something up like that but her teacher denied the whole occurrence. I told the teacher I didn't think my daughter was lying, and the teacher asked me who are you going to believe a child or an adult and I said the child that I've known all her life not the adult that I don't know it all. I requested she be moved to another class and she did so much better.
lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM

it depends on what the problem is. Last year my youngest son had a problem with a teacher and I let him handle it. He did so in a very mature way (probably more mature than I would have handled it) and it turned out very well (all was resolved)

doublesweetness
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

It definitely depends on the complaint, and whether it was a one-time thing or a recurring incident.

Everyone makes mistakes, and I don't flip out about minor ones.

tardistraveller
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Depends on the situation.  If they just don't like them, back off.  If it's something serious, get involved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)