Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Jack @** landlord! ETA HE CALLED CPS ON US!

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 231 Replies
1 mom liked this

When we put an offer in on our house we told our land lord, just like any other decent person would do. We made it VERY clear that the house deal was unstable and would probably fall through. That we would give him 30 days notice before we moved out. Our lease expired almost a year ago and we never got around to making a new one. So we were sitting without a lease. Always paid on time every month (direct withdraw). Gave him a 1k cashiers check when we moved in as a deposit (two years ago).

WELL ten days before the end of the month he tells us we need to be out because he has new tenants moving in on the first. PRAISE GOD that our house deal went through. We closed three days before he needed us out. It was kind of a nightmare. I told him that some walls would need to be painted and that the carpet would need cleaned. That if we had more time we would have done it. 

WELL he goes to cash our deposit and it wont cash. Why? BECAUSE ITS A TWO YEAR OLD CHECK. They expire after SIX MONTHS. The money already came out of our bank account. So its not like we didnt pay him. He tells us "Well as it is now you dont have a deposit". Um no. Thats not how it works. Its his damn fault he didnt cash the check and let it expire. So now were out a whole grand of a deposit. I thought we would at least get $500.00 back. Its $40.00 to have carpets cleaned in three rooms, and we left paint supplies behind(because we planned on painting) in the garage. So he would only be out labor for painting the few walls that needed it.

He keeps sending me nasty messages about how we owe him money, and how the house was a mess and we needed to come back and clean it (it was NOT a mess!). Now he is saying "In the lease agreement it states that you MUST PROVIDE ME A FORWARDING ADDRESS" im thinking so he can send us a bill or something. I have just been ignoring him. Our lease expired almost a damn year ago.

ETA:

A cashiers check is like a money order. The money comes out right away, not when they cash it. We also paid him a $500 pet deposit which he never cashed. 

UPDATE

I am so fucking livid right now! He called CPS on us. He said that our living conditions were terrible and out house was filthy, specifically our carpets and walls (what he was complaining to us about not having professionally cleaned). I have proof that he has been harassing me about it, is there anything I can do legally about him filing a false report? What will CPS do? We live in Minnesota.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jorjiegirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I would ignore him and def not give him a new address!
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

How are you out $1000 if he didn't cash the check?

Nevermind, I missed the part about the cashiers check.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Wait, how did the money come out of your account if he never cashed the check?
.Zombie.Girl.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Because she used a cashiers check. 

Quoting lovemymini:

ghostcat90
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

He's an idiot for not cashing the check and $1000 for a deposit is outrageous!  I think I had a $400 depoit on my apartment and that was only because I had a cat!  You might contact whatever housing regulators you have in yoru area to see where you stand.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The money is still in your account if he didn't cash your check.  Did you not notice the extra grand in your account when you balance your checking account?

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Cashier's check. Not a check from her account.

I've never used one, but I'm going to assume they work something like a money order.

Quoting Rebecca7708:

Wait, how did the money come out of your account if he never cashed the check?

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I would just ignore him if you still have the stub to the cashiers check.

kateshac
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
She says they gave him a cashier's check, which is like a money order.

Quoting lovemymini:

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Missed that part! Thanks!

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

Because she used a cashiers check. 

Quoting lovemymini:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN