Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you are a SAHM

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

Why does your husband need to take off to take your kid with the sniffles to the doc? I completely understand this is not all SAHM or even most. But the one I am dealing with. Her husband works for me and is always trying to take off for this kind of stuff. They have two cars.

Isn't it part of being a SAHM? Am I wrong for not letting him take off for routine crap?

ETA....They have ONE child who is four.  He is a normal happy healthy child.  We are military so he has Tricare and no copays.  The wife drives.  Our workload doesn't allow for this kind of stuff.  We just tripled our workload and have no extra people. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I've never understood this type of thing either, but I'm sure you'll get bashed for all sorts of stuff.

For the record, I raised 4 kids, and I was ALWAYS the one taking them to the doctor, or any other stuff like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM
How do you know it is just a sniffle visit? He tells you the specifics of what is wrong with his kid? Maybe the kid is really sick and as a parent he wants to be there for appts.when my Dd was diagnosed with a potentially fatal GI disorder BOTH of us went to every appt together.
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My husband wouldn't take off for something like that, nor would I ask him to.

However, unless you know the child's medical history, including exactly why he/she needs to be seen by the doctor, I wouldn't judge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I wonder if she has depression or if he doesn't give her access to funds to pay the copay or maybe he is going somewhere else and using it as an excuse for being late. Do they have lots of kids and she doesn't want to take all the kids to the Drs office?

It's certainly a little weird I am not sure how you could handle it in the work place. Although maybe have a conversation with him, I know when I worked I got pulled aside and told I needed to have my then deployed husband take my kids to some Drs appointments - I was not happy about that conversation.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
That does sound odd. Are you sure he isn't just trying to get time off?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
He says. Kiddo has a cold. Wife wants me to take him to the doc. And being military I would know if it was a life threatening thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you know it is just a sniffle visit? He tells you the specifics of what is wrong with his kid? Maybe the kid is really sick and as a parent he wants to be there for appts.when my Dd was diagnosed with a potentially fatal GI disorder BOTH of us went to every appt together.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I take my kid to the dr. My husband loves his job and is probably one of the few real workaholics pulling in 80 sometimes 90 hours a work week. if my son were to have an accident and it was an emergency he will leave work asap to participate in dealing with the emergency. If I can handle it I tell him and he continues with his day. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I work and I still take mine and he doesn't go. But we rarely go to the doctor at all. Our doctors office is 30 miles away and my mom lives there too so we visit if we go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Active duty with Tricare. So no worries about copays. But even then if they know of an appointment ahead of time you make sure funds are available.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wonder if she has depression or if he doesn't give her access to funds to pay the copay or maybe he is going somewhere else and using it as an excuse for being late. Do they have lots of kids and she doesn't want to take all the kids to the Drs office?

It's certainly a little weird I am not sure how you could handle it in the work place. Although maybe have a conversation with him, I know when I worked I got pulled aside and told I needed to have my then deployed husband take my kids to some Drs appointments - I was not happy about that conversation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I have yet to figure this out myself, I have family members that do the same thing and I'm like is she to stupid to comprehend what a dr says? I don't get it either I'm a sahm and I make and take my dd to her appts
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)