Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Unpopular opinion it seems for kids with attention disorders....edit: S/O of "school's forcing my child to take meds!" post

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 122 Replies

...and I won't even go anon!

Anyway, I do not have children who are diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but I have studied these disorders quite a bit. 

I am wondering if these kids can be helped by alternative lesson plan types or things like longer test times, why can't the school comply? What about things like lesser homework if the kid is passing all the tests, but his grades are suffering due to incomplete homework?

I mean, if the goal of school is to reward LEARNING over just reading and reciting information, can't we make school a little different for people having trouble sticking to the grid? I mean, we can argue that this is special treatment, but it wouldn't be much different than arguing that wearing glasses, testing OUT of classes, or special ed classes are special treatment.  

EDIT: Wow some of you are snarky! I kinda asked for it on purpose by claiming it was an unpopular opinion just to get replies *shame shame on the reply whore* 

I'm really glad to see the replies from people saying that they went into a 504 program and it worked well, but there are certainly a mixture of replies from other parents who say their experiences weren't so beneficial.

Mostly, my interest is in how other parents and students react to kids who are in these programs. Are they pissed off that your child is getting extra attention their kid isn't? Do you feel more people are starting to understand the troubles that come with ADHD, or is the stigma getting worse? 

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think people want to put the effort in, tbh. (Mine aren't ADHD or ADD, though I've had some experience with it)

I don't think ADHD or ADD are things that need to be medicated.  I think honestly that they need more time to burn off that energy.  At my DS's old school they got up and did jumping jacks or ran in place every hour or so, just to burn off some steam.  They also had recess or free play, in addition to their gym classes.

Now, especially with the implementation of Common Core, where everything is blocked and scheduled down to the minute, they have gym 3 days a week.  No free play, no recess, no burning off energy.  It's all learning by rote and teaching to the test, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of learning going on.  Just memorization and repetition. 

My almost 7 year old loved going to school last year.  Now, he hates it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I think this is a fantastic thought, I have a dd who shows no signs of adhd and a ds who shows a lot of signs but we are trying to teach him to control hinself without meds. I do homework with them totally different, my dd does it all in one sitting takes about 45 minutes between math spelling and 30 minutes of reading, my ds I mix it up a bit and dont require him to read as long because he simply can not focus that long.it would be great if there were modifications to homework as long as he does some and makes good grades on class work he should not be faulted
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this
The school can comply. Its called a 504 plan.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
My district dles stuff like this. Its all in my son's IEP.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

Some people actually need more help than that in order to stay focused.  But I think every thing outside of medication should be tried first so that the lowest amount of medication can be used. 

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Do you mean versus medication?
It really depends on the child. For some kids, longer test times would do nothing for them. They would still lose interest and not complete it. Others, it would.
ElitestJen
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

They do accomodate for those who request it.  If you've studied this, then surely you've heard of 504s and/or IEPs.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

That would probably help kids with Hyperactive type, but not those with Inattentive type.

Quoting LokisMama:

I don't think people want to put the effort in, tbh. (Mine aren't ADHD or ADD, though I've had some experience with it)

I don't think ADHD or ADD are things that need to be medicated.  I think honestly that they need more time to burn off that energy.  At my DS's old school they got up and did jumping jacks or ran in place every hour or so, just to burn off some steam.  They also had recess or free play, in addition to their gym classes.

Now, especially with the implementation of Common Core, where everything is blocked and scheduled down to the minute, they have gym 3 days a week.  No free play, no recess, no burning off energy.  It's all learning by rote and teaching to the test, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of learning going on.  Just memorization and repetition. 

My almost 7 year old loved going to school last year.  Now, he hates it.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
And also, schools do comply. They are called 504s and IEPs, depending on what is needed.
AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Unfortunately most schools do not want to work with alternatives.  They want a child that fits into the mainstream classroom and is not a problem.  Schools are run by administrators.  Administrators want good test results that earn them funding.  Teachers that are able to accomodate the "special" child are rare because they are already overburdened by achieving certain test scores and they have more children in the class with less help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN