Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA UPDATED #3(in green)I'm not one to make waves with the teacher, but this really irks me ( new UPDATE in red, #2 in blue)

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 1262 Replies
14 moms liked this

Yesterday, the teacher pulled me aside and told me that DD is spelling her name incorrectly in class. I asked how she spells it, L e k s i. I told her that is the correct spelling. She told me that it's improper and L e x y is what it should be.

My DDs full name is Aleksandria and Leksi is for short, I told the teacher that we have spelled it Leksi since birth, she does not have an X or a Y in her name, therefore Leksi it is.

The teacher told me that she will not be spelling her name that way in her class, and she will be teaching her that it is L e x y from now on. She said, prepare for her to spell it correctly and walked away.

I wasn't sure what to do, but I was planning to talk to her about it after school today. When I dropped DD off, she looked at her and said, are you going to write your name right today? and rushed into the class. I was really dumbfounded by it. Another mom came up to me and asked me what that was about. I told her and she has the same problem. Her DS's name is Robert, Robbie for short, and on Tuesday she also told her that it was incorrect and R o b b y is correct. Anytime she tries to talk to her, the teacher just brushes her off.

I e-mailed her an hour ago and asked for a meeting so we can speak about this, she e-mailed back and said she is unable to this week and there is no problem at school to meet about.

Like I said, I hate making waves with teachers and I don't like to complain to the principal.

What should I do???

Please don't bash the name. DD is in Kinder BTW

Update.......

I texted G (the other mom) and told her I will be going to the Assistant Principal. I email the Assistant Principal and atteched the teacher's e-mail, requested a meeting.

BTW, I do not know why they do not write their full name. I taught DD how to write her full name, including middle and last, she knows how, I thought it was required for K. I am not sure why it is  not.

Udate #2

The Assistant Principal got back to me and asked to come in at 12pm, I told G and she is coming as well, I'm just going to suggest DD use her full name.

Update #3

So I went. That was something, I am still in shock from it all. I got to the Assistant Principals office, the principal was there as well. I was expecting to explain myself and how the name is cultural and all, and maybe she should use her full name or something. But no, they told me this is not the first time they have recieved complaints from parents, not just about names, other issues as well, such as not meeting with parents when they request it. They told me starting tomorrow DD and her class will have a substitute until the end of next week. The teacher is being suspended and may be fired pending the decision from the district.

I told them that this didn't need to happen, I only called the assistant principal because she wouldn't meet with me, and all I want is my DD to be able to spell her name correctly. I don't want this teacher losing her job.

They said, issues have been going on for a while and 5 parents already asked for transfers for their kids out of her class, and they have spoken with her about these types of things on many occasions.

I really feel bad now, I don't want her to lose her job. I feel bad for the other students, they might have a new teacher and have to go through all that. I feel so, so bad, this all could have been avoided if she had just met with me and we could have compromised and found a reasonable solution for the both of us.

BTW, I haven't read all the recent comments, I will get to them. I didn't expect this post to blow up like it did

I know it is not my fault, and many others complained. As I was listening to other parents at pick up, no one is going to miss her. An e-mail went out to all of us after the meeting I went to. I just feel bad that I was the one to put the icing on the cake. I feel bad if she will not have an income, I have been there and I know how devastating it was to my family, I just think they could have possibly switched her job to something outside the classroom.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinners.mama
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
87 moms liked this
Go to the principal. I agree that I'm not the type to have fits over everything, but this lady is overstepping her boundaries. It's not OK. She doesn't get to change your child's name just cause she feels like it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
17 moms liked this
What did the letter "i" ever do too her?!?

At this point you'll have to get the principal involved. Honestly, I don't think they should be using nick names at all in school (when they're putting their name on an assignment) but the teacher is still wrong. Call the principal.

(There's nothing to feel bad about. She's at fault. This was a pre-existing problem. It was going to happen sooner or later. It's her problem not yours)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Isn't that the Ukranian spelling of her name? I'd go to the principal and if they don't deal with it, go to the admins. Maybe have her go by her full name and bring in her birth certificate for proof. You need to go to the principal and complain ASAP 

KMadsen
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Talk to the principal if the teacher is refusing to talk to you about it. 

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
9 moms liked this

That's actually really funny.  Who the hell is she to decide the correct way to spell your child's name?

I would forward the email to the assistant principal and ask for a meeting with him/her.

WifeyC
23 moms liked this

By the way, you spelled your SN wrong....

Buggy979
2 moms liked this
I would be matching into the principles office right this second.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoxStetz
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
I would be livid. Call the principal, and the superintendent today.
katydid150
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
5 moms liked this

I would be making waves. She has no right to change your child's name or how it is spelled. 

Alynn74
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
10 moms liked this

Go to the principal TODAY. She is overstepping her authority.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)