Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Family holidays

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 14 Replies

On holidays do you get together with your extended family, or just your immediate family? 

Since I was a kid, my extended family has gotten together for holidays. Grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. Usually a house of about 30 people. My boyfriend and I are coming up on our first holiday together as a family and he was wondering why all of us get together because growing up, he only got together with his siblings and parents. He mentioned wanting to start our own tradition of doing our own dinner with just us and my kids. I want our own traditions but honestly, not spending holidays with everyone just wouldn't feel like a holiday to me. At what point do you stop going to big family functions and just start your own?

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Before the military we had 5 parties.... extended all the way to third cousins. Now it is just Dh the kids and I.

Happy Fall!!!!

drowningmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

We dont do any type of family gathering for holidays. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

When I was with the ex, it was with his family all the way, now that I remarried, it is just dh and my kids

nelliesmommy
by prettyandpierced on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

extended, normally

mistie900
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM
We do both. The extended family one is usually on a different day, like for Christmas it's on the 23rd or something. Then on Christmas Day or thanksgiving its with just our siblings and parents. So far we have not done our own with just the four of us yet. I'm sure one day we will though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crescentstar2
by Anne on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM
When I get together with my inlaws side there's 26 of us. That's just MIL FIL SILs and all our kids. It's a giant family
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We had to start having our own holidays when we moved halfway across the country from DH's family. Since moving back we celebrate with extended family again but that's mainly for our kids' benefit so they can see their relatives. We live 3 hours away currently and I hate the long drive and I'm not crazy about most of DH's family. I think if you live nearby and everyone gets along you should celebrate with the extended family.

crafteechic
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM
When we lived in Florida we'd spend the weekend before Christmas with my husband's family. The week of Christmas we'd either spend it quietly at home with just us & the kids or we'd travel up to Virginia and spend it with my family.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

my DH's extended family is huge, if everyone got together it would involve renting a hall!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I refused to travel for the holidays (going from one house to the other) so we started hosting Christmas at our home so we wouldn't have to. This has turned out to be stressful and overwhelming, now we're spending the Holidays in the woods, alone! lol. 

DH and I both wanted our own family tradition and a stress free holiday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)