Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Amish family wins the right to allow their child to die? I don't know HOW I feel about this...

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 94 Replies

Ohio judge blocks bid to force Amish girl to have chemo

Printby AP

KREM.com

Posted on September 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM

OHIO -- A judge has again blocked an Ohio hospital from forcing a 10-year-old Amish girl to resume chemotherapy after her parents decided to stop the treatments.

The order comes a week after an appeals court sent the case back to the judge and told him to give more consideration to the request by Akron Children's Hospital. 

The hospital wants limited guardianship of Sarah Hershberger to decide whether the Medina County girl should continue treatments for leukemia. Doctors believe Sarah will die without chemotherapy.

But Judge John Lohn said in his ruling that not allowing the parents to make medical decisions for their daughter would take away their rights, and said there is no guarantee the chemotherapy would be successful.

The girl's family stopped treatment because it was making her extremely sick.

I mean on 1 hand, the child is so sick on the drugs and she must be miserable and so sick. But on the other hand if she doesn't do the chemo, which she won't now that the court has ruled, she is going to die. There will be no hope for her at all... I know for me, I would fight and put my children through everything I can to keep them going. What do you think? 

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Well who's to say the chemo wouldn't kill her either?

LectioDivina
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM
11 moms liked this

Lots of kids die with the chemo anyways.

It's a personal decision, as it should be.

MomTo5Almost
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Oh I do understand that. My thing is, if she has the chemo she may die or she may live. Without the chemo she will die. I just don't know how I feel about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM

My husband got four rounds of chemo...he had a higher chance of dieing from the chemo then his cancer. Treatment of any kind should be left of the the parents and the patient not the goverment !

WaffleHead
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I don't understand why you are having an issue with this...
The chemo isn't good for her. Her parents don't want get to suffer.
It isn't as if she is being starved or something. Why should they put her through chemo with no guarantee it will work, so she can be sick and tired.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM
4 moms liked this

The daughter is the one who doesn't want Chemo, it's HER body and HER life it should be HER choice. 

I'm glad she won't have to endure the treatments and can live out the rest of her life the way she has chosen. 

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM
It should be the decision of the parents, should have been from the beginning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this

would you want your rights taken away cuz someone else thought they should be????  think about it that way, cuz it COULD happen to you

Quoting MomTo5Almost:

Oh I do understand that. My thing is, if she has the chemo she may die or she may live. Without the chemo she will die. I just don't know how I feel about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM
5 moms liked this
It should be their choice. A family should be able to say "what is meant to be is meant to be" if they choose. It should never be mandated to use extraordinary measures to preserve life especially when it involves going against a person's personal belief system.

I don't want anyone dictating what medical care my children will or won't receive. I draw those lines. Not some stranger.
mariesmama
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

sick yes, but i'd rather have a child temporarily sick than a dead child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN