Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is a fair settlement amount from car accident?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
I was hit from behind in a car accident with my two kids, both under two about two weeks ago. Thank God they were ok, but my car was smashed in so bad from the accident, the car was written off as a total loss and they just gave me $2000. I plan on using that as a down payment for a car which I hate because my car was paid off. My claims adjuster told me they were going to pay me a one time settlement, for pain and suffering and they are giving me something called PIP insurance for the kids and I. Everyone is saying I should get a lawyer to get a lot of money, but I don't want to get rich you know? The only injury I have is a stiff neck/shoulder, a ongoing headache, and a little pain on my spine that I am taking medications for. Everyone is telling me I should get a lot of money because my kids were in the car, but I don't think so because it wasn't a car accident to where anyone was hurt terribly. What do you think is a fair settlement amount?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM
We were in an accident, no serious injuries. We took the payout on the car and moved on.....
MommySwiggles
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM
5 moms liked this
I think a fair amount will cover yours and the kids' medical bills and prescriptions from the accidents, cost to replace their car seats and the value of your old car. Also, if you missed any work, it should cover the pay you missed out on and if you have to pay any late bills because of missing work, it should cover late fees (not the regular bills).
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

How old was your car?  Were you at fault?  I wouldn't settle for anything right away if you have ongoing issues.  Make sure they also refund you for the carseats as well just not the $2000 for the car that should be seperate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this
They should pay for your car, medical bills and any lost wages. Any more than that is too much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this

People that use an accident for a payday are disgusting.   A fair amount would be that which covered your car damages and a reasonable amount for medical care/p&s. It's and accident, not a lottery win.

bunnyxlover
by hippity hop on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

keep this in mind, very important.  if you take that settlement lets just say 20,000.. and 5 years from now you need surgery resulting from an injury you sustained in that accident, its coming out of your pocket.

you waive the right to sue or seek anything else from the insurance company or the other driver when you take a settlement

bunnyxlover
by hippity hop on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

what about future medical expenses that are unforeseen at the moment?

Quoting Anonymous:

They should pay for your car, medical bills and any lost wages. Any more than that is too much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM
That's what I was thinking. Im surprised they are even paying me for the other stuff.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

We were in an accident, no serious injuries. We took the payout on the car and moved on.....

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

IMO I would go after them for at least the amount my car was worth. 

2ArfarasMom
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM
3 moms liked this

You don't get more money because kids were n the car. They weren't hurt, thank god. So why would you get more money? You have minor injuries as well. If you retain an attorney the will probably get 33 1/3% of your settlement (or somewhere around that). If you didn't sustain major injuries there wouldn't be much of a reason to add on the expense of an attorney. I'd tell your friends to stop being money hungry 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN