Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ridiculous School Rules

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 78 Replies

Tiana Parker (photo: Fox News)

The parents of a Tulsa girl have pulled her from school because the administration wouldn't let her keep her hairstyle. Speaking with KOKI-TV this week, Tiana Parker, 7, said tearfully, "They didn't like my dreads."

Related: Cheerleading Uniforms Violate Dress Code

According to the parent-student handbook of the Deborah Brown Community School, which Tianaattended until Friday, "Hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros and other faddish styles are unacceptable. For safety reasons, girls' weaved hair should be no longer than shoulder length. Boy's hair is to be short and neatly trimmed." The school's website also states, "Uniforms are required as a part of the strict dress code we strongly enforce."

Related: No Cell Phones Allowed: Some Colleges Ban Modern-Day Gadgets

Tiana's father, Terrance Parker, told KOKI that school administrators told him that his daughter didn't look presentable. "She's always presentable. I take pride in my kids looking nice," said Parker, who works as a barber. He also said that last year, she wore the same hairstyle to school without consequences. A school representative told Yahoo Shine via email, "We have photo documentation in our yearbook that her hair was not in dreadlocks during the 2012-2013 school year."

The representative added that Tiana's mother officially yanked her from the school on Friday at dismissal time: "The parent of the student in question elected to choose a forbidden hairstyle which is detailed in the school policy. The parent was asked to change the hairstyle, however on Friday, August 30th, the parent choose to dis-enroll her child from our program." Tiana is now attending another school where her hairstyle is considered acceptable.

:
P.S

THIS LITTLE GIRL DONT EVEN HAVE LOCKS IN HER HAIR THEY ARE BRAIDS. 

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Idk, rules are rules. 

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Lmao, a white lady just posted about this. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

mariesmama
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

sad this happened in tulsa its ok at eugene feilds school in tulsa

CharmMom1216
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Well it's part of a dress code. I really don't see much issue with weaves but I get dreads not being acceptable.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

She needs to abide by the rules just like anyone else.

If she didn't have dreads in why did she say, "they didn't like my dreadlocks"?

Why do people think their children are or should be the exception to the rules??  My son wants long hair, his school forbids it.  I take him to get his haircut short, end of story.

CharmMom1216
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
5 moms liked this

weaves are not natural. So its okay to put a wig on a child but she cant wear her natural hair. Thats how black folks natural hair look. its neat and well kept. Whats the issue with dreads? I dont get it. If a white girl can dye her hair from red to blonde thats acceptable or percieved as PRESENTABLE. Why does the natural hair of a little black girl looks not presentable. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well it's part of a dress code. I really don't see much issue with weaves but I get dreads not being acceptable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it has gotten beyond stupid that kids can not have the hairstyle they want.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I don't understand the rule, but it IS a rule.
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I saw this on fb and it pissed me off.  Dreads and afros are not "faddish" hair styles.  They seem to me to be more natural hair styles for a certain hair type.  Hoe should people with that hair where it?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured