Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

TEACHERS, please advise!

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 18 Replies

I've posted previously about my DD being in TK here in CA.  She had a "lunch date" with her teacher today (which is basically a mini-assessment of skill level), and when I came to pick her up, her teacher told me, "you're right;  she knows A LOT!"  I had told the teacher prior to the start of school that I think my DD was actually prepared for Kindergarten  rather than TK.  

Her teacher told me prior to school starting that she had never utilized the school district bylaw that allows for testing of a child on a case by case basis, and in so many words, told me that she wouldn't test DD.

Now, teacher is admitting that my DD is really pretty advanced for her class, but said not to worry because she'll be breaking the class up into smaller groups where they'll all be focusing on different skills and that even if DD is the only one who's reading that she'll be assisted with that.  Well...that got me to thinking, and I wrote her an email.  I just wanted to get some feedback from teachers before I send it.

Do you think I should press the issue or just leave it alone?  I don't want to be the "pain in the ass parent', but I want to make sure that my DD gets the education she's entitled to.  Thanks!

Letter is below:

Hi Ms. ___________,

I just wanted to let you know that __________ really enjoyed her lunch with you today.  After our exchange at pick up I realized I had a few questions: 

I understand that the kids will be grouped into "like" sets for the staggered class, and that the kids will be broken into smaller groups to focus on skills during the day as well, but something that occurred to me is that, if she's the only one at her skill level (i.e.: reading / writing), I'm worried that she might feel ostracized or left out if the other kids are doing activity A or B and she's the only one doing activity C.  Is that a valid concern?  

Also, I realize that you have never utilized the testing option to put a student into Kindergarten who didn't already make the cut off, but after having an opportunity to evaluate ____________, do you still feel that she would do better to stay in TK?   There are a few reasons why I ask you again: 1) Changing classrooms / classes this early in the school year would be less disruptive to everyone involved, and 2) if she's already on a Kindergarten level now, what will her options be for next year and going forward?

I hope you understand, I don't mean to be irritating or difficult, I honestly just want what's best for my daughter and to give her the most fulfilling experience she can have at school.  I am happy to discuss this further with you either in person or on the phone if you think it would be beneficial. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss these issues with me. 

Best,

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it is well worded
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

You don't sound like a pain in the ass parent to me. I'm not a teacher but I'd send it. Good luck mama! :)

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I'm not sure what TK stands for, but I'm going with "pre-K" from the context.

It is unlikely that your daughter will be the only one at her skill level in the class, or on the off chance that she is, that she will remain so.

Additionally, academics are only a part of a student's readiness for each grade, especially in the early grades. I saw so many students who were academically advanced but socially awkward and it really hurt their high school experience (they had a harder time in sports, clubs, and other extra curriculars, as well as in group academic work).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Just because your daughter (may be) ahead academically does not mean she should be put ahead. Social readiness is WAY bigger in the long run. Do you really want her to be the youngest in her class? How is that going to play out on the playground? Think how that could play out in the teenage years also....In my state they will not test kids into K early.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Transitional kinder. They moved the start date for k from dec to sept. They move it a month a year until the hit sept. Well the kids who would have started now goes to tk until they are of age to start kinder

Quoting B1Bomber:

It is unlikely that your daughter will be the only one at her skill level in the class, or on the off chance that she is, that she will remain so.

Additionally, academics are only a part of a student's readiness for each grade, especially in the early grades. I saw so many students who were academically advanced but socially awkward and it really hurt their high school experience (they had a harder time in sports, clubs, and other extra curriculars, as well as in group academic work).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Tk means her kids birthday is only about 3 months behind the cut off date. The only reason she's not in regular kinder is they recently changed the cutoff from dec to Sept

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because your daughter (may be) ahead academically does not mean she should be put ahead. Social readiness is WAY bigger in the long run. Do you really want her to be the youngest in her class? How is that going to play out on the playground? Think how that could play out in the teenage years also....In my state they will not test kids into K early.

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Exactly.
Socially I'm pretty sure she's ready,too. At the welcome back park play date she was introducing herself to everyone and shaking hands. I'm not sure what else is included under 'social readiness'?

Quoting Anonymous:

Tk means her kids birthday is only about 3 months behind the cut off date. The only reason she's not in regular kinder is they recently changed the cutoff from dec to Sept

Quoting Anonymous:

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
What state are you in?
teeloffel
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM
She would only be the youngest until November, so I still don't see what the big deal would be.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yes, it's Sept 1 in my state. Still if her birthday is between September through December she'd still be one of the youngest kids since she tested in. My niece has a November birthday and tested in early in Oregon which has a cutoff of Sept 1. She's been having some issues now that she has reached the tween age as all her fellow students are basically a year physically ahead of her (and she's a slow bloomer to boot I think).

Quoting Anonymous:

Transitional kinder. They moved the start date for k from dec to sept. They move it a month a year until the hit sept. Well the kids who would have started now goes to tk until they are of age to start kinder

Quoting B1Bomber:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)