Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dd has been skipping class and i am not punishing her or telling my dh

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies

This is the deal. My dd is in 8th grade. She just started in this school this year. She got her schedule and it shows her first class is PE. My dd  has self esteem issues due to her being really skinny. Every since 5th grade she has been teased. To the point where she will not go without a long sleeve shirt and will not wear shorts. In 5th grade she was told by "friends" that she couldn't be in the talent show because she was so skinny. Last year she tried to wear 2 pair of jeans to make her legs look bigger because people were telling her her legs are to skinny and wears long sleeve shirts because they tell her arms are too skinny.. She was skipping because she didn't want to dress out, she didn't want to be seen without her clothes on. Her first period is her homeroom  and where they did attendance. i was getting calls that she was absent.

Today she was found hiding in the bathroom. at this point she talk to the guidance and guidance was really concerned about how she won't wear anything but pants and always wear long sleeve shirts. My dd was really upset and they changed her from PE to choirs. I spoke to guidance about what has went on with my dd  and hwat has been happening .

I am not punishing her because i know why she did it . I spoke her about it and explain to her that I am not condoning what she did but just this one time she will not be punished but if it happens again she will be.

I am not telling dh because he will want to punish her and he won't understand what she has been going through.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2ArfarasMom
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand why she did it, being teased, especially at a young age is difficult to deal with. Although she does need to understand she can't be skipping classes which you explained. I'd try to work on her self esteem though, girls with low self esteem can be a big problem

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Wow, I'd tell my husband. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I plan on getting her into some therapy here soon to try to help her with it. I tell her all the time that she is beautiful. that everybody body is different and nobody body is prefect and to be proud of her body and how it looks. but it isn't helping any. 

she is a beautiful girl.

Quoting 2ArfarasMom:

I understand why she did it, being teased, especially at a young age is difficult to deal with. Although she does need to understand she can't be skipping classes which you explained. I'd try to work on her self esteem though, girls with low self esteem can be a big problem

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I get that she's self-concious, but she also needs to participate in PE. She can't just not go to the gym forever. 

mom011598
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be on the phone with a therapist not on CM. 

2ArfarasMom
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I don't doubt that she is. It's sad that she has to go through that, kids can be so mean. I hope she starts to feel better about herself soon. I don't have a daughter so I don't know what that's like but I hate to hear when young girls are teased....it just shouldn't happen. And it's hard when as an adult, you can look at them and see the beauty that they can't see within themselves. It's very sad

Quoting Anonymous:

I plan on getting her into some therapy here soon to try to help her with it. I tell her all the time that she is beautiful. that everybody body is different and nobody body is prefect and to be proud of her body and how it looks. but it isn't helping any. 

she is a beautiful girl.

Quoting 2ArfarasMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM

lmao PE is a required class to graduate. Infact my bil skipped PE everyday in his Senior year and he couldn't graduate with his class, had to take PE in summer school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Gonna have to work on that before she hits high school, they have to take some sort of physical activity, pe, dance, yoga.But I have girls and completely understand where you are coming from, kids can be assholes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

It is 5:30 my time there isn't any places open at the time. I have to make a call about my ds to get him in behavior theapy tomorrow and i will set her up with someone tomorrow as well.

Quoting mom011598:

I'd be on the phone with a therapist not on CM. 

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

There's always ways around that. In my district, Spanish was a required class to graduate, but my husband managed not to take it and was still allowed to graduate. Depends on your school and your counselor.

OP, good for you for understanding your daughter. Hopefully she is able to get past her self esteem issues,

Quoting Anonymous:

lmao PE is a required class to graduate. Infact my bil skipped PE everyday in his Senior year and he couldn't graduate with his class, had to take PE in summer school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)