Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WTF has anyone heard of this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My hubby is starting a trade class. Its eligible for financial aid/loans. But today when he went for his meeting with the school they told him that he is expected to pay the course fees then be reimbursed by aid. As in the course starts the 9th but they won't apply any aid money until November 4th. Now my only experience is with a university, and they apply funds a week before school. Has anyone experienced a school that delayed things this long? 2 months?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Its really not a scammer school....I work with the board of regents in Ohio whic had really declared this place as part of the University systems. I'm going back with him for another meeting tomorrow, he's doesn't understand fin aid well and said he may have misunderstood the counselor. But I did read his papers and it really does look like they are saying money is processed November 4.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Sounds like it might be one of those scam deals.  Actual government-backed financial aid comes before the bill is due, not afterward, unless they have changed it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM
This isn't anything special like the gi bill or even a scholarship. It's just a pell grant (generated from his fafsa) and a small direct government student loan.

Quoting babycakesaz:

That is how it worked when my dh used his gi bill. We a&d to pay and were reimbursed down the road. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Not if there was a gap in attendance doing the change. Which I believe was three years ago.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wouldnt it matter that he's technically not a first time student? Hes received aid before for an associates degree from a university. This is just a new school.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's the standard for first time students due to the changes in fasfa
.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I haven't had any personal experience with anything like this, nor have I heard of it.

If Financial Aid is going to pay for the classes, they do it up front- there shouldn't be any need to reimburse or for the students to come out of pocket, unless its a portion not covered by Financial Aid.

But I also heard there are changes coming to the whole Financial Aid/ FAFSA program- could this be one of them?

TemptingFate
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM
When I went to college, they gave out the aid 9 weeks into the 12 week term.
They told us it was so that people wouldn't start the term, get the money, and then just quit school after receiving the money. Apparently that was quite a problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Hmmmm something to ask about. Ty. I had no idea they did changes liked that. Do you know anymore about them? Like what all it effects?

Quoting Anonymous:

Not if there was a gap in attendance doing the change. Which I believe was three years ago.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wouldnt it matter that he's technically not a first time student? Hes received aid before for an associates degree from a university. This is just a new school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I know when I went back to school out was explained to be as being like a probation to make sure the person actually intended on attending class instead of just trying to get free money. And it was only ones first semester back. After that it would be released earlier.

I'm not sure if it was a federal rule or just certain universities.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmmmm something to ask about. Ty. I had no idea they did changes liked that. Do you know anymore about them? Like what all it effects?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM
That's what it seems like that are doing here. It kinda sticks because while he wasn't going to take the money and drop, he is taking off work a whole year to do the program. We had budgeted in the loss of income but addition of the aid money (he'll get a 3x pay increase when he's done, so totally worth it) but things are going to be tighter than expectedbetween now and November if we have to wait that long.

Quoting TemptingFate:

When I went to college, they gave out the aid 9 weeks into the 12 week term.

They told us it was so that people wouldn't start the term, get the money, and then just quit school after receiving the money. Apparently that was quite a problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

We've always had to pay upfront before benefits or aid kicked in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM
That's what else is fishy!!!
I understand the first billing period ( that's what they call it and it's like a semester) being delayed, but they all are! For instance, classes the first period are 9/9 to 2/4. They said funds released 11/4. The second period is 2/4 to 6/24. Funds released 4/18.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know when I went back to school out was explained to be as being like a probation to make sure the person actually intended on attending class instead of just trying to get free money. And it was only ones first semester back. After that it would be released earlier.

I'm not sure if it was a federal rule or just certain universities.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)