Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WTF has anyone heard of this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My hubby is starting a trade class. Its eligible for financial aid/loans. But today when he went for his meeting with the school they told him that he is expected to pay the course fees then be reimbursed by aid. As in the course starts the 9th but they won't apply any aid money until November 4th. Now my only experience is with a university, and they apply funds a week before school. Has anyone experienced a school that delayed things this long? 2 months?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Replies (21-23):
TemptingFate
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Yeah, it was hard that first term. I used most of the money paying people back the first term. At my school they did it every term.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what it seems like that are doing here. It kinda sticks because while he wasn't going to take the money and drop, he is taking off work a whole year to do the program. We had budgeted in the loss of income but addition of the aid money (he'll get a 3x pay increase when he's done, so totally worth it) but things are going to be tighter than expectedbetween now and November if we have to wait that long.

Quoting TemptingFate:

When I went to college, they gave out the aid 9 weeks into the 12 week term.

They told us it was so that people wouldn't start the term, get the money, and then just quit school after receiving the money. Apparently that was quite a problem.
jen_keiko
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM

The schools I went to postponed the tuition for date for those receiving financial aid and the money went to the school first and any extra was refunded to me by the school...

babycakesaz
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Then that is insane! I used a pell grant to go to college and never had to pay before hand. 

Quoting Anonymous:

This isn't anything special like the gi bill or even a scholarship. It's just a pell grant (generated from his fafsa) and a small direct government student loan.

Quoting babycakesaz:

That is how it worked when my dh used his gi bill. We a&d to pay and were reimbursed down the road. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)