Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you voluntarily medicate your child if..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It meant they could have a pet? One of my kids has pet allergies and we've been considering trying an allergy medication and exposing him to different animals for awhile to see if the meds help. Something like Zyrtec, Allegra, and so on.

If you would/do, can you advise me on what OTC or prescription meds help best with indoor allergies?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
AMS918912
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Well quit trying to justify it online and go do it, then. Obviously your mind is made up, so why ask for people's opinions?

Quoting Anonymous:

Poison? I don't know if I look at it quite like that. Honestly, it wouldn't be "just so" we can get a cat or dog. My son loves animals so much and is so heartbroken that we can't get one due to his allergies. This is something he wants so bad.

Quoting AMS918912:

No. Pets aren't a necessity. I'm not going to poison my child's body with medicine just to get a cat...

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Yup, this, exactly!

Quoting AMS918912:

No. Pets aren't a necessity. I'm not going to poison my child's body with medicine just to get a cat...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Pretty bad allergy to cats but only somewhat allergic to.dogs. Certain dog breeds get to him bad but some only bother him a little.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

It just depends I guess. How severe is the allergy?

Some kids love pets. When I was smaller I loved animals so much. I can't imagine growing up without them. Now not so much. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

No, If it didn't cause anything other then itchy eyes, stuffy nose or other minor problems I would get a pet and give it a year and hope that they get over it. If they don't then I would medicate if necessary and my kid would ALSO have to be willing to give it a go. - if you constantly medicate there really is no real chance of getting use to it.

disastermind
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

lol, they freak me out but some people love them.

What about a poodle, I hate them too actually but they're supposed to be good for people with allergies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao, those cats are hideous. I was just looking at Sphynx cats the other day and telling my husband that I just couldn't love such an ugly cat.

Quoting disastermind:

No, I wouldn't want them on something like that constantly.

I'd get them a goldfish or a hairless cat, as ugly as those little fuckers are.

NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

We get a scrip for allergy meds for the kids.

Happy Fall!!!!

valrubio
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

No. Unless I could find a natural way to deal with their allergies then they would not get a pet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Woah, why so hostile? I'm not justify anything. I'm just saying I don't view it as poison, and no my mind isn't made up, thank you very much.

Quoting AMS918912:

Well quit trying to justify it online and go do it, then. Obviously your mind is made up, so why ask for people's opinions?

Quoting Anonymous:

Poison? I don't know if I look at it quite like that. Honestly, it wouldn't be "just so" we can get a cat or dog. My son loves animals so much and is so heartbroken that we can't get one due to his allergies. This is something he wants so bad.

Quoting AMS918912:

TwinkleStars918
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM

We have a bichon. Giving a kid meds so they are able to have a pet is ridiculous, especially when there are hypoallergenic options. I love that this dog doesnt shed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Having a pet is a want. Your child needs to breathe. What happens when the child gets attached to the said pet and then you realize the allergies are too bad and the pet needs to be re-homed? Your child then has to deal with losing a pet you should have never had.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)