Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you voluntarily medicate your child if..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It meant they could have a pet? One of my kids has pet allergies and we've been considering trying an allergy medication and exposing him to different animals for awhile to see if the meds help. Something like Zyrtec, Allegra, and so on.

If you would/do, can you advise me on what OTC or prescription meds help best with indoor allergies?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
HaleyCovington
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Lol. Quit being so dramatic. 

Quoting AMS918912:

Well quit trying to justify it online and go do it, then. Obviously your mind is made up, so why ask for people's opinions?

Quoting Anonymous:

Poison? I don't know if I look at it quite like that. Honestly, it wouldn't be "just so" we can get a cat or dog. My son loves animals so much and is so heartbroken that we can't get one due to his allergies. This is something he wants so bad.

Quoting AMS918912:

No. Pets aren't a necessity. I'm not going to poison my child's body with medicine just to get a cat...

cherrybomb55
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I would talk to the doctor first.

2ArfarasMom
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

No I would not medicate my child so that I could get a pet

SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Absolutely not. When we thought DS was allergic to cats I was fully prepared to get rid of my cat. I've had him for nearly a decade but no way would I medicate a child for an animal.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

No way.That's a terrible thing to do to a kid.  All medicines have side effects.  Absolutely not.

lesalmi
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM
i would expose him to a few animals and see which are triggers. I am allergic to cats but do fine with dogs. The only otc allergy med that helps me is Allegra but its different for everyone.
brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Mobile Photo

Get a Chinese crested. My friends son has an allergy to pet dander, but their Chinese crested doesn't bother him at all.
KGreen75
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM
No because even with allergy medicine, it does not help 100%.

I'm allergic to cats and take allergy medicine every day, I took allergy shots for 4 years...I still get itchy, sneezy and miserable around cats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmom121812
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM
No. Not having a pet wont kill him.I wouldnt want my kid drugged up all the time without being needed. Plus after a while most likely wont be able to function without it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyranightshade
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I absolutely would. I really believe pets enrich a family's life and I can't imagine a place could be a home without a pet you interact with.
I'd talk to an allergist and look into hypoallergenic breeds. Thrr labradoodle or golden doodle are great with kids and don't aggrivate allergies but can be pricey if you get one from a reputable place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)